Don’t be afraid to make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.
I know they look complicated. I know it is easy to buy them. But I repeat: never fear the roll.
They aren’t hard at all. My bread machine does most of the work for me. I just have to add the ingredients and turn it on! If I haven’t sold you on a bread machine yet, please get one. It will make your life so easy. (It will also make your family jump, twirl and you will be declared the best parent ever. Nothing is wrong with that.)
It is also a WONDERFUL kid in the kitchen recipe. After the bread machine does the work of kneading, rising and mixing for you, hand your child the rolling pin and let them roll. And roll. And roll. Something about a rolling pin and dough that can keep the children entertained for hours on end.
I try to encourage them to speed it along. 😉 Cade has a lot of fun sprinkling on the cinnamon/sugar. The best part of the child doing the cinnamon/sugar? If there is too much filling, they get the blame.
Not me. Even though there may or may not have been some encouraging to sprinkle more on. *Ahem*
The amounts for the brown sugar and cinnamon are just a guide. I don’t usually stick with it as we really like our filling.
Try this recipe. It won’t disappoint!
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cup flour (I use unbleached)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- softened butter for spreading
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 T milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed.
- Set machine on dough cycle.
- When machine is done, roll out dough on lightly floured surface into a large rectangle.
- Spread with butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on dough. Roll up dough tightly starting with the longest side. Cut in one inch slices.
- Place in greased pan and let rise for one hour.
- Bake 350* for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Mix all ingredients until desired consistency.
- Can add more milk or powdered sugar to suit taste.
- Drizzle on rolls.