Need a quick, simple meal to feed your hungry family? This Hamburger Casserole has four ingredients. Perfect for getting food on the table fast!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my hubby is rather picky about the food that is on his plate. Vegetables are forbidden, save potatoes and green beans (canned from a garden is preferred). Let’s not even talk about carrots. Good thing he likes this Hamburger Casserole.
Finding a favorite meal is easy if I make a meat and potatoes dish (like this Easy Beef Stew). Unfortunately, hamburger is costing the same as a small diamond around our area. Therefore, we aren’t wanting to use a lot of red meat in our cooking to save a few dollars.
I think you are starting to see my dilemma. Meatless meals are not encouraged and we need to take out a loan to eat a roast. (Disclaimer: that was an exaggeration. But you get the point.)
How To Make Hamburger Casserole
The other day, I was feeling creative and wanting something cheesy. Who doesn’t enjoy a casserole with a layer of cheese on top? I wanted to use a few ingredients as possible and use ingredients that would please the family. This hamburger casserole was born.
It has a simple, easy ingredients that come together in a snap. The meal only cost us around $8. Now, that may seem like a lot. However, our son and my hubby took it in their lunch for the next couple of days.
Simply fry up the hamburger. This meal really comes together quickly when you have hamburger already cooked and in the freezer.
Is it really is only four ingredients?
Yes, it is.
The next step is to boil the noodles in a pot of boiling water. After the noodles are cooked, put them in a greased 9×13 pan. Add the cooked hamburger and tomato soup. Sprinkle cheese on top.
So a few meals were made from an $8 9×13 pan. Not too bad for a meal with meat in it. You can pair this hamburger casserole with some 30 minute dinner rolls. Poppy Seed Fruit Salad would be easy to make as well. It was a complete meal.
What did the meatatarian husband say? Not only did he like it, he stated that fact a few times during the meal. And told me to make it again. :-)
Did I mention the kiddos loved it too? Such a total win.
- 1 lb box medium shells
- 1 lb ground hamburger , cooked with garlic powder, dried onion, salt and pepper to taste
- 2 10.75 cans tomato soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- After browning hamburger, add 2 cans tomato soup to the frying pan (with the hamburger).
- Add 1/2 can water.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Pour noodles in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour hamburger mixture over noodles and stir.
- Sprinkle cheese over casserole and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Can bake under broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown cheese, if desired.
- Note: If you want to use 2 cups of one kind of cheese (example: mozzarella) instead of the combination, you canDried onion and garlic powder is completely optional and can be adjusted to your family's tastes