A soft and delicious cake full of pumpkin and chocolate flavors. Easy to make and is the perfect fall dessert for your family.
So what is your favorite? Apple flavors or pumpkin flavors? What calls you the most in the fall? It's a tough one for me because I love all things apple. However, if you combine flavors like pumpkin and chocolate and make something like this pumpkin chocolate chip bundt cake, I may have to choose pumpkin.
Because really, pumpkin and chocolate? How can you go wrong?
What makes pumpkin chocolate chip bundt cake special?
Glad you asked. This pumpkin cake has not only chocolate chips in it but a simple ingredient that makes this cake soft and flavorful: Chocolate Fudge Pudding.
Oh yes it does. Because of the pudding, this fall favorite recipe has a depth of chocolate flavor that blends perfectly with the pumpkin flavor.
Is this pumpkin cake easy to make?
Yes, it is. It has simple ingredients that you likely have already in your pantry.
How to make the Pumpkin Cake
This cake has all the classic ingredients, however, since it has the chocolate element to it, I didn't add any spices except the cinnamon. Really, cinnamon should be added to pumpkin because, well, it's pumpkin. Pumpkin almost always needs cinnamon.
The other spices such as nutmeg or allspice, really wouldn't compliment the chocolate flavor.
Does the chocolate flavor outshine the pumpkin?
No! I don't believe it does at all. I was wondering if it would taste too chocolate-y (is that a thing?) but the pumpkin and chocolate compliment each other.
Simply mix the oil and sugar together. Then mix in the eggs, stirring well.
Then you will want to mix in the flour, baking soda and salt. You can then stir in the pumpkin and cinnamon. After everything is mixed, stir in the chocolate pudding mix. There is no need to over stir, just stir in the pumpkin, cinnamon and pudding mix until everything is blended well.
You can make a cream cheese frosting to drizzle on top or you can sprinkle powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar) on top. You can certainly also leave it plain.
Serve it up and enjoy this fall dessert recipe.
Like other pumpkin recipes?
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour I use unbleached, can use bleached
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding mix 1 small box
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Mix together oil and sugar until blended
- Add eggs and stir well
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt until blended completely
- Stir in pumpkin and cinnamon
- Stir in chocolate pudding mix then fold in chocolate chips
- Pour mixture into a greased bundt cake pan
- Bake at 350* for 60 minutes or until cake tests done
- *Oven temperatures vary. You may want to check your cake at 55 minutes to see where it is at*
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a knife and turn the cake out onto a cake tray or plate, using oven mitts if necessary