Who wants a fall dessert with a fun twist? This pumpkin pie ice cream roll would be just what you are looking for. Delicious pumpkin flavor mixed with creamy vanilla ice cream will satisfy any pumpkin craving.
I hadn't actually made any desserts in a while over in the Strawn Homestead. Let me tell you, that has the potential of causing a riot. When your mom/wife is a food blogger, there are certain expectations that the family has of me. One would be desserts. So on a beautiful Saturday, I put together this Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Roll.
Fall is in the air and when one mixes ice cream with any dessert, it is bound to become a quick favorite. As this pumpkin recipe did.
This dessert has it all. It is a pumpkin cake, with vanilla ice cream spread on top, chocolate chips sprinkled throughout, drizzled with chocolate and caramel topping.
Is this too complicated to make?
No! It is really very easy. Don't let the multi-step process worry you. This blog is all about simple recipes to feed that family of yours and I promise, this recipe is easy. The cake part is just like making any other cake, except the towel part.
Okay, what is the towel part?
The part that is different in making a cake roll of any kind is how to turn it out of the jelly roll pan. To do this, you need to spread out a tea towel sprinkled with powered sugar. Then you turn the cake out of the jelly roll pan onto the towel. While the cake is still warm, roll the cake and towel together up starting with the short side.
Sounds strange, but stick with me. When you roll the cake up while it cools, it tells the cake (trains it) to know that is the shape it is to be in the end. It encourages it, if you will.
What do I need to make this fall dessert?
Make sure you have a jelly roll pan (Rachael Ray cookware is a favorite of mine!) and it does help to have parchment paper on hand. I have used it while baking and I have not used it. It does help the cake not to stick to the pan when you are turning it out on the towel.
You will also need a towel, as mentioned above, mixing bowl and spatula.
How do I store this?
Since it has ice cream in it, the pumpkin roll needs to be kept in the freezer. If have any leftovers, you can wrap up the extra with plastic wrap and simply place in the freezer. You can slice the leftovers and put it in an airtight contain if you would like. I simply cover it and we eat it within 24-36 hours. If it is going to be longer than that, I would slice it and place in a container.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Roll
- 3 eggs yolks and whites divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- caramel and chocolate ice cream topping for drizzling
- Mix the eggs yolks and vanilla with a Kitchen Aid mixer or hand mixer on high speed until yolks are thick (about 5 minutes). Add in the 1/3 cup of sugar, on high until sugar is thoroughly mixed. Stir in the pumpkin
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the yolk mixture into the whites mixture
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Add to the egg mixture, stirring until just combined
- Spread into a greased (and use parchment paper if desired) jelly roll pan. Bake at 375*. Bake until top springs back when touched about 12 minutes
- Turn out onto a towel with powder sugar sprinkled on it. (Loosen sides of cake first). If using parchment paper, remove paper from cake
- Roll up starting with the short end, towel included. Set on a cooling rack
- When completely cooled, unroll cake and spread slightly softened ice cream on top of cake
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips
- Roll the cake back up, set on plate. Drizzle chocolate and caramel on top, if desired
- Place in freezer and freeze for four hours so ice cream will harden
- Cut into slices and serve
Need more pumpkin recipes?