This Strawberry Icebox Cake is layers of graham crackers and fluffy whipped cream with a lot of sweet strawberries. Such a simple recipe that makes a big impression with family and guests alike.
Strawberry Icebox Cake is fluffy, light, and creamy. It only has a handful of ingredients and can be made quickly. It does need to set up so be sure to take that into consideration when deciding to make this strawberry dessert recipe.
This strawberry dessert would be great for Valentine's Day or Easter when strawberries are starting to be abundant. We always look forward to strawberry season at our house. Recipes like Strawberry Pie and Strawberry Soup are some of our favorites!
- graham crackers
- heavy whipping cream - can use Cool Whip
- powdered sugar - optional
It seems too simple, but it is so simple! These easy ingredients make up a delicious strawberry icebox cake recipe.
How does it work?
The graham crackers are the base or "layers" of this recipe. They soften when left to hang out with the whipped cream and strawberries in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 8 hours). Then, they can be cut easily and have a "cake like" texture when eating this icebox cake.
Why whipping cream and not Cool Whip?
Actually, you can use Cool Whip if you want to and if you do, omit the powered sugar. The Cool Whip will be more sweet than the whipping cream. The whipping cream however has a thickness and sturdiness to it that lends to the cake well. It also makes it so the recipe isn't too sweet and balances out the graham crackers and strawberries well.
How to make the strawberry icebox cake
The first step is to put a little of the whipping cream on the bottom of the baking dish. It helps the graham crackers to stay put when layering everything. It's a little like paste.
The process of this icebox cake is to layer everything. So graham crackers, whipped cream then strawberries. Then repeat.
The whipped cream cream will placed on top with the final layer being strawberries.
Before you cut into this dessert, be sure to let it hang out in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight. So make this recipe the day before and you will be good to go. Cover it with foil before you place it in the fridge.
If you take it to a potluck, you will want to keep it cool.
There will be about three layers of graham crackers and the flavor will pop! Enjoy the sweet strawberries in this delicious strawberry recipe!
Pin for later!
Strawberry Icebox Cake
- 1 handheld mixer or stand mixer
- 32 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 lbs strawberries stems removed, cut and sliced
- 14.4 oz graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar optional
- Whip the heavy whipping cream in the bowl of the stand mixer or with a hand held mixer in a large bowl on high until cream gets thicker. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until cream is thick.
- In a 9x13 pan, place a little of the whipped cream on the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of graham crackers on top of the whipped cream.
- Add another layer of whipped cream, then the sliced strawberries.
- Add a layer of graham crackers then repeat the process so there are three layers of graham crackers.
- Finish with a layer of strawberries on top.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Slice and serve. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
- To help get an idea of how much ingredients to add of each layer, roughly divide it into thirds. There should be three layers of graham crackers.
- You will use the whole box of graham crackers
- If you use Cool Whip in place of the heavy whipping cream, omit the powdered sugar.