Easy Key Lime Cake has punch of flavor in every bite. Easy from start to finish, this cake will be a hit for family and guests alike! The cake starts with a cake mix so it is easy to make.
What does key lime flavor say to you? Sun? Summer? Maybe some beach involved?
For me it is all the above. So when I bite into this Easy Key Lime Cake, I am taken away to someplace warm and sunny. Even if it is 30* outside.
Key lime cake has that punch of flavor that does a dance in your mouth. No really, it does. The citrus of the lime mixed with the citrus of the lemon, makes it so refreshing and delicious. Like with these Simple Lime Bars.
Can I substitute key lime juice for regular lime juice
Yes, you can. When substituting regular lime juice for key lime juice, you will want to add more lime juice to get that flavor since key limes are so flavorful. In this recipe, it calls for 5 tablespoons of key lime juice so you would add 7 tablespoons of regular lime juice.
You may find that the flavor it okay for you to go with the original amount, but I feel it would need a little extra to make the flavor pop.
I also added some lime peel to the batter for additional flavor. If you need a citrus grater, this one is a good one to have.
How to make this easy cake
You start with a lemon cake mix. The cake mix can be any brand, I prefer Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines. Then add vanilla pudding (dry), water, oil, eggs and key lime juice. You will need to mix with a stand mixer or hand held mixer for at least 2 minutes.
To bake, I put this cake in a bundt pan. You can also use a 9x13 pan. I personally like the look of this cake in a bundt pan and I believe the frosting for this key lime cake recipe looks nice on a bundt pan. However, either will work and taste good!
To remove, wait 10 minutes and run a knife along the edges to loosen the cake. Then flip the cake over.
The frosting is a simple recipe of powdered sugar and, you guessed it, more key lime juice. I would wait another 20 minutes to frost the cake so the frosting won't melt. Just drizzle the frosting on top of the cake.
What you end up having is a delicious and easy cake recipe that is full of flavor and is wonderful for a brunch, lunch or gathering.
Easy Key Lime Cake
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 5 T key lime juice or 7 tablespoons regular lime juice
- 2 tsp lime peel grated, optional
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 T key lime juice adding more if needed for drizzling consistency
- Mix together cake mix, pudding, water, oil, eggs and key lime juice in a large mixing bowl. Mix with stand mixer or hand mixer for 2 minutes
- Pour into a greased bundt pan
- Bake at 350* for at least 40 minutes. Depending on your oven, times may vary
- Cake is done with toothpick (or knife) inserted near the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Loosen sides from bundt pan with a knife and turn over on a plate or serving dish
- Let cool another 20 minutes
- Mix together powdered sugar and key lime juice in a small bowl
- You may add more juice depending on the consistency. You want drizzling consistency
- Drizzle over cooled cake