Remember the yesteryear of an Orange Julius from the mall? I sure do! Now, it can be made anywhere and anytime. An Orange Julius Recipe that can be made at home so you can enjoy the sweet orange and vanilla flavor anytime.
Do you remember walking into the mall when you were a child? We lived about 30 miles away and back then, that was far. When we would go, three things must happen:
- We had to stop at KB Toy Store
- We had to get cheese popcorn
- We had to get an Orange Julius
Why not bring one of those three into my own home? To be able to make a homemade Orange Julius Recipe in my kitchen and share with my children gives me a taste of yesterday.
What is an Orange Julius?
An Orange Julius is a mix of orange juice, milk, ice, vanilla and sugar. It also used to have eggs in it. (No eggs in this recipe!)
This sweet drink used to be in malls across the country but the actual chain was bought by Dairy Queen. (Though they are no longer serving most of the Orange Julius drinks.) Even more reason to make it at home, right?
- orange juice - regular orange juice is used for this recipe, not concentrate.
- vanilla extract - can be omitted but it really adds to the original taste.
- powdered milk - 2% or whole milk works as does almond milk if you are dairy free. I feel the powdered milk helps to thicken the drink a little more.
- sugar - granulated sugar
- ice - crushed or cubed
Can this recipe be made dairy free?
Yes it can! Regular milk or powdered milk (which is what this recipe calls for) is what is typically used. However, vanilla almond milk does work and I have used it in the past.
I don't recommend you leave out the milk all together because it does add flavor and texture to the drink and leaving it out, wouldn't be the same.
Do you drink dairy? This 3 Ingredient Orange Frosty will hit the spot.
A blender is needed for this recipe. A Magic Bullet will work but it would be in a much smaller quantity.
How to make the Orange Julius Recipe
To make this summertime drink recipe, just add all the ingredients into the blender and mix. To make it for a crowd, double or triple the recipe.
The ice will need to be blended in a pulse action for a few turns until it is crushed. The ice adds such a nice depth to the drink and gives it that extra boost of texture.
Serve the Orange Julius in clear glasses for the most effect. Of course, any glass will do. I like adding straws and an orange slice for garnish.
Enjoy making this easy Orange Julius recipe. The flavors blend together so well and it is a taste of yesterday. How enjoyable is that!
Pin for later!
Homemade Orange Julius
- 1 blender
- 2 cups orange juice I used pulp free
- ⅓ cup powdered milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ice cubes
- Blend together frozen orange juice, water, almond milk, sugar, and ice cubes in a blender.
- Pulse 5 times for 10 seconds each.
- Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds more.
- Serve in glasses.
- Garnish with orange slices.