Don't let the color of these bars fool you. They will trick you into thinking you are about to have a bite of lemon. Really though, the delicious taste of lime shines through these Simple Lime Bars.
Should I confess? These Simple Lime Bars were gone in about 12 hours. And Cora didn't get more than a sliver.
And she was the one who made them!
Brothers. (And Dad!)
It is so much fun to turn her loose in the kitchen to let her create and watch her be inspired. We have come a long way since her lemon/sugar mixture she thought would magically turn into something good. Or the egg, flour, milk combo that wasn't edible unless you wanted some kind of food poisoning. ;-) Yes, Cora has improved.
I truly enjoy the flavor of lime. Lemon bars are great but I had bought lime juice not too long ago and it was just calling to be used. The simple lime bars are just that, simple to make.
You know, the only kind of lemon bars I ever had was store bought, from a box. The homemade bars were simple and more flavorful. Also, isn't it just plain nice to know what is going into the recipe?
I think so too.
Simple Lime Bars
It has to bake for longer than one would think. At least, I was surprised about the amount of time needed. I guess I thought it would be done sooner. It was worth the wait.
You could double the recipe if you want and make a 9x13 pan of these lime bars. The pan I used was a 8 inch square.
Though, as mentioned above, the 9x13 would have been beneficial. ;-)
Simple Lime Bars
- ⅓ cup butter (slightly softened)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup flour (I use unbleached)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 T flour (I use unbleached)
- 4 T lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Mix butter, ¼ cup sugar and flour together (You can use your hands if it is easier!)
- In an ungreased 8 inch pan, press the mixture on the bottom
- Bake in a 375* oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove from oven and set aside
- For the filling, combine the eggs, ¾ cup sugar, 2 T flour, lime juice and baking powder. Using a hand mixer, mix until well combined
- Pour filling over crust. Bake 15-17 minutes or until center is set. Sprinkle top with powder sugar.
Hi Kim! Your lime bars look really delicious. I love how easy and simple they are to make. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy them!