Such a simple recipe, this Easy Apple Dump Cake has only a few ingredients and you don't even need a mixing bowl to make it! Top this delicious apple dessert with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, caramel or eat it plain. Delicious!
Easy Apple Dump Cake is a simple dessert for fall or anytime! Start with canned apple pie and add a boxed cake mix. How simple is that?
Cake mix recipes, like Gooey Strawberry Cookies and Ooey Gooey Butter Cake make dessert making so simple. The cake mix has the ingredients needed to help rise the batter plus the flour and sugar. Eggs aren't even needed for this recipe!
Why you will love this recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Is ready for the oven in minutes
- All the ingredients are shelf stable so you don't have to make this recipe right away
- It is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner
- yellow cake mix - any brand will work
- butter - or margarine
- pecans - optional, however they do add a nice depth to the dessert
- canned apple pie filling - any brand
What spices should be used?
If you already have apple pie spice in your pantry, then that can be used in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Don't go out and buy the apple pie spice, unless you want to, because the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves works just fine. If you make pumpkin pie, you probably already have those spices in your pantry.
Can I use other pie filling?
Yes, you can! Cherry pie filling would be excellent with the cake mix topping. I wouldn't add the spices, however.
How to make Easy Apple Dump Cake
This recipe gets its name by how the ingredients are just "dumped" into the pan. There is no stirring or mixing. That is the best part! The apple pie filling needs to be spread in a 9x13 cake pan (greased).
Next, the cake mix gets dumped on the apple pie filling. As does the butter, spices and pecans.
The butter is melted first in the microwave or stovetop, then poured over the top. Be sure to make the butter cover the cake mix as much as possible. Otherwise the topping will remain powdery.
Adding the pecans
Okay, if you have followed me on here for any time now, you know I do not like nuts in my baked goods. To anticipate a soft bite and hit a hard nut, well, I just can't.
However, this dessert can be made with or without the nuts and I do recommend them. They add a depth of flavor to this dump cake that I feel would be missing if left off. Still good without nuts, but the pecans add the depth. Walnuts could be used as well.
Leftovers can be stored covered in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
This dessert recipe can be topped with vanilla ice cream, drizzled caramel or whipped cream. It can also be eaten plain, it's just as delicious. Sometime, there is an apple pie ice cream in the store. That would be good too.
Easy Apple Dump Cake is a simple recipe with only a handful of ingredients. No mixing bowl is required and can be put together and in the oven in a hurry. It is such a sweet and easy apple dessert recipe!
Pin for later!
Easy Apple Dump Cake
- 1 9x13 pan
- 42 oz apple pie filling 2 cans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 13.25 oz yellow cake mix 1 box
- ¾ cup chopped pecans optional
- ¾ cup butter melted, can use margarine
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Pour apple pie filling in pan.
- Pour dry yellow cake mix over the top of the apple filling, evenly.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves over the top of the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the pecans over top of all.
- Spread the melted butter evenly over top of all, making sure to cover the cake mix as much as you can so no cake mix is dry.
- Bake at 350℉ for 45 minutes or until top is firm and the filling on the sides is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes to set up. Top with ice cream, drizzled caramel or whipped cream, if desired.