This Brown Sugar Coffee Cake makes your morning delicious and easy as it starts with a boxed cake mix! So simple to put together, whip this breakfast recipe up for your family or take it to a gathering.
*This post contains affiliate links. You can read our disclosure here.
The kiddos sure love a coffee cake for breakfast. Well, the hubby and I might as well. ;-)
When the mornings can be lazy, this brown sugar coffee cake is a great addition to your breakfast menu.
It starts with a boxed cake mix which is a great little trick I love to have up my sleeve. I make plenty of coffee cakes from scratch, that do not start with a cake mix like this blueberry coffee cake, or this apple coffee cake, but sometimes speed is imperative.
Sometimes, also, we just don't want to put much work into it. (Can I get an AMEN??)
Making the brown sugar coffee cake
It really is quite easy to make this breakfast/brunch favorite. All you need are a few ingredients and it does help to have a Kitchen Aid mixer or a hand mixer. I use my Kitchen Aid often and I feel it is worth the investment.
Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream with a mixer. Place the dough in a greased angel food cake pan. (Or also called a tube pan.)
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the dough in the pan.
Take a knife and swirl the batter in the pan. Just swirl it, nothing too crazy. You will still have plenty of topping on top of the coffee cake. By swirling it, you help some of that brown sugar deliciousness to get on the inside of the coffee cake.
Bake and you are done!
A few tips
Grease your pan well and when you take the brown sugar coffee cake out of the oven, use a knife to loosen the sides of the coffee cake. Don't try to remove it from the pan yet. Let it sit on the counter for a few minutes. Few=10.
You don't have to drizzle frosting on top, but really, for the integrity of the cake, drizzle it. ;-) The frosting is only a two ingredient recipe so it is easy to put together.
Besides, who doesn't like frosting...
See also: Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoon almond milk or use regular milk
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Mix cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and sour cream in a large bowl with a mixer
- Mix for 1 minute on low speed then 3 minutes on medium/high speed
- Place in a greased tube pan and set aside
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of dough
- Take a knife and swirl through the dough
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick tests done
- Set on counter to cool and loosen sides with a knife
- After 10 minutes remove from pan
- After cooling completely, mix together frosting ingredients in small bowl and drizzling on topIf you need to put the frosting on before it is cooled completely, you certainly can. It just might melt a little bit. Still tastes great.
- **Please Note**Several people wrote in and said their cake collapsed on them while baking. I did not have that problem but I adjusted the amount of brown sugar added to the recipe. I used a cup of brown sugar and did not have a problem but changed it to 1/2 cup. I do strongly suggest that the brown sugar is completely broken up (like in the picture above) before you sprinkle it on top of dough.