A fun Thanksgiving or fall bread recipe with only 4 ingredients! Apple Pie Twists starts with crescent rolls then adds apple butter. So simple yet so unbelievably tasty. Serve this special treat at your Thanksgiving dinner.
Need another recipe for your upcoming Thanksgiving day feast? Look no further because these Apple Pie Twists are just what your family ordered. So simple, only 4 ingredients and a delicious addition to your meal.
These twists start with crescent roll dough and then is topped with apple butter and cinnamon sugar. How easy is that?
- crescent rolls (I used two tubes)
- apple butter
You can use any kind, store brand or name brand of crescent rolls or apple butter. The apple butter linked to above, is not the brand I used, but it will give you an idea in case you have never heard of apple butter.
What is apple butter?
Apple butter is like applesauce, but cooks longer and is pureed more. When the apple butter is cooked longer, it removes more water which gives it the darker color.
Apple butter also has all the apple spice favorites such as cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg.
One thing apple butter does not have, is butter in it. So why is it called apple butter? This favorite apple recipe usually is spread on bread, toast, rolls, etc. Just like butter.
I have made peach butter in the past.
First, you will want to take the crescent roll dough and roll it out on a baking sheet. The seams needs to be rolled together so they won't come apart while baking.
Next, take the apple butter and spread it out on the dough.
Cutting the apple pie twists
First, cut and fold the dough on the pan.
Then, take the folded dough and carefully twist the dough. You will use both hands, one hand twisting one end and the other twisting the other end.
Place carefully on an ungreased baking sheet.
Top with a cinnamon sugar mixture then bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
This apple bread recipe tastes best when still warm. However, it is still great after cooling completely.
If you want to make this fall recipe ahead of time, you can. Be sure to place in an airtight container until ready to eat. I would keep them in the fridge until you are serving them.
To heat them up, place them on a baking sheet and put in a 250 degree oven for 5-7 minutes to serve them warm.
Pin for later!
Apple Pie Twists
- 16 oz crescent roll dough 2 tubes
- 1 cup apple butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, spread the crescent rolls out, so both tubes of rolls are touching.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough together.
- Spread the apple butter on top of the dough, evenly.
- Cut strips of dough with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Fold the dough in half so both halves are touching.
- Twist the dough, using both hands. One hand on one side and the other hand on the other and twist.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over top of the apple pie twists.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown and dough is cooked.