Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake is a soft and easy to make cake layered with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Enjoy this summertime treat when strawberries are abundant and sweet!
This Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake is a soft and fluffy cake topped with sweet and delicious strawberries. Let's not forget the whipped cream, right?
Strawberry shortcake is a classic spring and summer dessert recipe. The shortcake part isn't very sweet so the strawberries can shine. The whole dessert is a compliment to each other as the flavors blend into childhood memories. Remember strawberry shortcake growing up made with homegrown strawberries? I sure do.
- flour - all purpose
- baking powder
- butter - I used margarine
- heavy whipping cream
- strawberries - fresh not frozen
Frozen strawberries could work, but I strongly advise using fresh strawberries so the strawberries are firm and don't have a mush feel to them.
Whipping cream verses Cool Whip
Whipping cream is made from whipping heavy cream with a stand mixer or hand mixer. It has a subtle flavor so vanilla or powdered sugar can be used.
Cool Whip, while certainly tasty, isn't quite as fresh as a whipping cream. Cool Whip is already flavored so it is sweeter than a heavy whipping cream. I feel whipping cream is best for this recipe, however, either will work, depending on your preference.
How to make easy homemade strawberry shortcake
This recipe calls for basic staples in your pantry such as flour, baking powder and sugar. The shortcake is really a basic cake almost biscuit recipe.
As with most pastries or biscuit type dough, cold butter will be needed to make the recipe shine. If you are like me, I can not have real butter so margarine will have to do. I find it works just fine in this recipe as real butter.
Make sure to cut the butter into the flour so the flour resembles small crumbs.
Mix the milk and egg together in another bowl then add to the dry ingredients. It will help the mixture to mix evenly and it makes such a nice dough to work with!
Spread on the bottom of a greased 11x15 pan and bake for 12-15 minutes until the dough is firm.
Yes, but note the batter will be thicker and it will take longer to cook.
Sure! Use a cookie cutter to get your desired shape.
Yes you can! In fact, here is a good recipe!
Pin for later!
This strawberry shortcake recipe is an easy one. It is great to put together for guests or for your family dessert. Enjoy the sweet strawberries and rich whipped cream on top of a soft pillowy cake.
Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 11x15 baking pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 stand mixer or handheld mixer
- 1 pastry cutter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk 1%, 2% or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups strawberries sliced with stems removed
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Grease a 11x15 baking pan.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is like crumbs using two knives or a pastry cutter.
- In a small separate bowl, mix together eggs and milk.
- Stir the milk mixture in the flour mixture.
- Spread in a greased 11x15 baking pan.
- Bake at 400* for 12-15 minutes or until baked through.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut into squares (or other desired shape) and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
For The Whipping Cream
- Pour heavy cream into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer or hand held mixer, whip on medium speed until cream thickens. Add two tablespoons of powdered sugar and whip for another 20 seconds. Cream should be thick and set.