Our sweet daughter was born in the craziest month. In the middle of Christmas parties, Christmas concerts, Christmas decorating and Christmas gift buying, her birthday is tucked right in the middle. December is a blessed, great month however it does get a little busy. It was in the middle of all of this, when our sweet little girl came up to me and asked if I would make cookies for her class, in honor of her birthday.
Oh, of course. I mean really, how could I say no?
She asked for Gooey Butter Cookies, which are a cinch to make. As I pulled out the ingredients for the cookies, I realized I was missing an important ingredient. The yellow cake mix. However, I did have strawberry cake mix. Hmmm….. What about Gooey Strawberry Cookies instead? I think yes.
Sometimes the best ideas are born of accidents and mistakes. I don’t know if I will ever make regular gooey butter cookies again. These gooey strawberry cookies are as good as the original, but with the taste of strawberry mixed in. And they are a great pink color. Can’t go wrong. Can’t.
Where are we going for Cora’s birthday? Culver’s, of course. Then we are headed to see the great Christmas light display in a neighboring town. It’s a tradition; we go every year for her birthday. Butterburgers, fries and custard…mmm….
Gooey Strawberry Cookies
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 8 oz box cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix cream cheese and butter with a mixer on low speed until mixed well.
- Add egg and vanilla and blend.
- Add strawberry cake mix and stir by hand. Batter will be thick.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll each ball into the powdered sugar to coat the outside.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes @ 375*.
- Please note Halfway in the cooking time, you will want to take a spatula and finish pressing the cookies down, flattening them.