This Taco Tortilla Casserole is another great recipe that uses only 1 lb of hamburger. Amazing spices blend for a tasty way to feed the fam.
This Taco Tortilla Casserole was a throw together meal in every sense of the phrase. Of course, if you have read my posts before, you know I throw a lot of meals together. Because, really, who has time for anything else some days. Quick, easy, family friendly recipes is where it is at now.
Of course, when you add "taco" to the title the dish has to be good.
Taco tortilla casserole has all the favorite ingredients of tacos but in a casserole form. It is more frugal because it uses less hamburger than tacos. When you have a large family, it is important to cut corners when you can.
What is in taco tortilla casserole?
You can add most of your favorite taco ingredients. I used spicy tomatoes, but you can use regular canned tomatoes. There were black beans as well as seasoned hamburger. If you don't like using store bought taco seasoning, you can use homemade seasoning.
Cheese is always a favorite around here and you can use really any kind you have on hand. I recommend using taco cheese if you have it. Cheddar would work well as well.
To make taco tortilla casserole
Simply put the hamburger in a frying pan and cook until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning. Then add the beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
Place ½ cup tortilla chips on bottom of pan then add ½ the hamburger mixture. Add 1 cup of cheese. Next add other ½ of hamburger mixture. Sprinkle ½ cup of tortilla chips on top of hamburger mixture.
Taco Tortilla Casserole
- 1 lb hamburger , cooked and seasoned with 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 14 oz drained black beans
- 13 oz tomatoes , seasoned with chili's
- 6 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips , divided
- 2 cups taco cheese (can use cheddar)
- After cooking hamburger until no longer pink and adding seasonings, add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce to pan with hamburger.
- Stir and let cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place ½ cup tortilla chips on bottom of lightly greased square 8 or 9 inch baking pan.
- Add ½ of hamburger mixture.
- Add 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat layer starting with the tortilla chips.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 375*.
- Remover foil and bake for 5 more minutes.