A rich and flavorful recipe this Easy Cheesy Beef Enchilada Casserole can claim to be. So easy to put together and only has a handful of ingredients. This Enchilada recipe can be a family supper or make this recipe for a crowd!
What an easy recipe for those busy nights! The ingredient list is short, the recipe can be made ahead of time and the flavors are rich and delicious. This Easy Cheesy Beef Enchilada Casserole is just what a busy family needs on those crazy school nights.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this supper recipe. You will need:
- White or yellow corn tortillas
- enchilada sauce - this can be store bought or homemade
- ground beef - I typically use 85% but whatever ground beef you typically use is fine. Be sure to drain all fat off after cooking. Venison meat can also be used.
- chili beans
- Cheddar (or Mexican) shredded cheese
- Jalapenos - (optional)
How do I layer this casserole?
When making lasagna, the key is to layer each ingredient so every bite has an equal share of noodles, cheese, sausage, etc...
The same goes with this recipe. You could roll up the corn tortillas and have more of a taco like dish. For beef enchilada casserole, however, I feel layering it like lasagna gives the dish more depth and you can get the serving proportions more appropriate for little ones in the family.
To start, spray the bottom of the casserole dish lightly. Then add a thin layer of enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, the hamburger mixture (see below) and cheese. Layer again. You will have approximately three layers of corn tortillas.
At the very end, sprinkle a layer of cheddar cheese on top. You can also use Mexican cheese for a little more kick of flavor.
The enchiladas need to be cooked at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until casserole is warmed through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
How to store leftovers
When you are finished eating, you can wrap up the leftovers (if there is any!) in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place a piece in a microwave for 1 minute, then more if necessary in 30 second intervals. Be sure to cover the piece with a microwave safe cover so you won't have enchilada splatters in your microwave.
- After cooking, let the cheesy beef enchiladas sit for 5 minutes so it sets up and is easier to cook.
- If you make this ahead of time, make it as described above, then wrap with foil and place in fridge. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375* and cook for 50 minutes or until heated through. Keep the foil on while cooking.
- Adding the jalapenos is optional, to help the heat level, when cutting them, remove the seeds. You may want to wear gloves and be sure to avoid touching your face or eyes.
This beef enchilada casserole is one of my husband's favorite recipes and I'm sure it will be one of yours as well! Serve this casserole with Poppy Seed Fruit Salad or a Creamy Hawaiian Salad and you will have a complete and delicious meal!
Pin for later!
Easy Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
- 1 9x13 baking pan
- 18 corn tortillas
- 28 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 ¼ lbs hamburger
- 2 jalapenos
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 14 oz chili beans drained
- 1 tablespoon dried onions optional
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Brown hamburger in a large skillet until no longer pink, adding 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and dried onions. Drain
- Chop jalapenos and remove the seeds. See tip in post above. (Jalapenos are optional)
- Return hamburger to pan and add ½ cup of enchilada sauce to the hamburger. Add chopped jalapenos and drained beans. Cook for 5 minutes
- Layer ¼-½ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a greased 3 quart casserole dish. 6 corn tortillas, ⅓ of hamburger mixture, ½ cup cheese
- Repeat until you have 3 layers of corn tortillas
- Pour any remaining enchilada sauce on top of final layer and add the remaining cheese
- Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is warmed through
- You can remove foil for the remaining 10 minutes of cooking to brown the cheese a little if you would like
- Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes for easier cutting and serving