So easy and delicious this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken recipe is only 3 ingredients. Yes, that's right. Can't get much more simple for a weeknight supper or a gathering with friends.
The school year is off running (thankfully!) and after school activities are going on. That means quick suppers that can cook while we are watching the races. This slow cooker bbq chicken only has 3 ingredients and can cook while you are away.
What are the three ingredients?
The 3 ingredients are chicken, hickory smoke Kraft BBQ sauce and a can of Dr. Pepper. Yes, that is it. I don't even add salt and pepper.
How long does the chicken cook for?
We like any meat we cook to basically fall apart when we eat it. Of course, with chicken it is important to make sure it is cooked all the way through. No medium rare for chicken! If the chicken breasts are frozen, you need to cook it on high for 6 hours. If the chicken is thawed, 4-5 hours on low would cook it through.
Of course, your crock pot may vary, so always make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through (the juice is clear) or use a meat thermometer. It should read 165* when put in the thickest part of the meat.
Can I add the sauce to the chicken while it is cooking?
I don't. You can, but I like to wait until the chicken is done. I don't want the sauce to burn and if I'm away for the day and can't be checked, it might burn. So I cook the chicken then in the final hour or two of cooking, add the sauce and can of Dr. Pepper. When the sauce is added to the chicken, turn the crock pot down to the low setting.
How to store leftovers
You can store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Make sure you refrigerate leftovers quickly as you don't want to leave chicken out.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 4 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 17.5 oz Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce
- 12 oz Dr. Pepper
- Place frozen or thawed chicken breasts and place in crock pot
- Cook FROZEN chicken on high for 6 hours
- Cook THAWED chicken on low for 5 hours
- Shred the chicken with forks
- Pour BBQ sauce on chicken and the can of Dr. Pepper.
- Cook the chicken on low for 1-2 hours more
- Serve on hamburger buns or on rice. You could also serve on tortilla chips with shredded cheese for a chicken nachos
- *If you are using frozen chicken, you may want to drain the juices off before you add the BBQ sauce.