Easy Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole is so simple to make even on the busiest of nights. You family will love this casserole for the taste, you will love it for the simplicity!
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole only has a few ingredients. What is really great is they are mostly items you can find in your pantry or in your fridge.
Gotta love that, wouldn't you say??
As I have mentioned before, I live with a family of meatatarians. (As with this ever popular Hamburger Casserole recipe.)
The combination of the pasta shells, soup and chicken, topped with melted shredded cheese is warm and comforting. This casserole recipe can even be adapted to your family's specific tastes!
- diced chicken - cooked diced chicken
- pasta shells - any type of pasta will work, but I prefer the shells with this recipe. The pasta will be cooked to al dente before putting it in the casserole
- cheddar cheese - a Colby cheese would work too
- broccoli - fresh or frozen
- cream of chicken soup - from the can
- milk - or water
- butter - melted
This casserole has all the yummy ingredients you would want such as chicken, broccoli, cheddar cheese, pasta shells, cream of chicken soup. I also add milk but if your family is allergic, I would add water instead.
How to make cheesy broccoli cheesy casserole
To make this casserole, cook and drain the pasta. Then mix the cooked chicken, pasta, broccoli and soup in a large bowl. Then spread on the bottom of a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
Sprinkle the cheese on top. If you want to be a little more generous with the cheese, no harm in that!
This chicken casserole bakes up in about 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. I like to cover it with foil for the first 20 minutes, then take the foil off and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
How can I cook chicken ahead of time?
After buying chicken breasts, immediately put them in the crock pot on high for 4-5 hours or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Then, let the chicken cool for about 15 minutes and cut up as desired. Place in a freezer bag or airtight freezer container. The chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to mark the bag with the date so you know when it was cooked.
FAQ & Tips
I don't recommend it. If you can't have milk (like I can't), just replace the milk for water.
Yes! The chicken does need to be fully cooked when it is placed in the casserole. I like to have chicken already cooked and in the freezer for future recipes. It makes prepping meals like this so much quicker and easier.
You can place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the fridge. Be sure to eat any leftovers up within 48 hours. Chicken shouldn't be left in the fridge longer than 48 hours.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb pasta shells
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 cup broccoli chopped, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup milk or water
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- Grease 9x13 baking dish and preheat oven to 375*
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain
- Combine pasta shells, cream of chicken soup, cooked chicken, broccoli, milk, melted butter and ½ cup cheese in a greased 9x13 baking dish
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover with foil
- Place in a 375* oven and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve