Pizza Casserole with Ravioli is a new combination between ravioli casserole and pizza bake. Delicious way to combine a classic favorite and add a new twist. This recipe is completely adaptable to your family's tastes.
This is what happens when I wanted something a little different for supper and had ravioli sitting in the freezer just waiting to be used.
Pizza Casserole with Ravioli is rich with cheeses, flavored with Italian seasoning and garlic and has everyone's favorite, the pepperoni. Of course, if you would want to, you could add green pepper, mushrooms or any vegetable you would like. As you know, vegetables are a strongly discouraged by my meatatarian husband, however he is getting better.
Is this like a pizza bake?
This pizza casserole is a mix between Pizza Bake and Ravioli Casserole. I wanted to make pizza bake but as I mentioned, the ravioli was calling my name. As I was wondering if I could mix the two dishes, I realized ravioli has sausage in it and sausage goes great with pizza.
The pizza casserole uses pizza sauce verses spaghetti sauce, ravioli verses pasta shells, but it uses ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and all of your pizza favorites. We like pepperoni on our pizza so we added that.
How should we store this casserole?
If you have any left, I would store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can just scoop up any leftovers and put it in a dish. However, you may want to get a larger dish so the casserole can stay in tact while store. It helps with an equal amount of cheese distribution. I do not recommend freezing this casserole. You can make it ahead of time and place it in the refrigerator in the morning to cook that evening for supper.
You can serve this great casserole with a side of broccoli cauliflower ranch salad. A poppy seed fruit salad or applesauce would be great as well.
Pizza Casserole With Ravioli
- 25 oz frozen sausage ravioli
- 28 oz pizza sauce (2) 14 oz jars
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 bag pepperoni
- 1 egg
- 1 lb hamburger or sausage
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Cook hamburger until no longer pink in frying pan. Season with seasonings, as desired.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish
- Spread ⅔ cup pizza sauce on bottom of dish
- Place frozen ravioli on bottom of dish in a single layer
- Mix ricotta cheese and egg in a separate bowl. Add in ½ cup mozzarella cheese, stir
- Spread ½ cheese mixture on top of ravioli
- Sprinkle with ½ of hamburger
- Pour 1 jar pizza sauce
- Layer ½ the bag of pepperoni
- Repeat layers, starting with the ravioli
- After finishing with the last jar of pizza sauce, sprinkle the ½ cup of cheddar cheese and the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top of casserole and cover with foil
- Bake at 400* for 40 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned and sauce is bubbly
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving
Anyone made it without ricotta? Fam doesn’t like it.
You can use cottage cheese in place of the ricotta or leave it out completely. I hope that helps!
This was so tasty, family loved it. I didn’t give 5 stars because of the ingredients and directions. I had to use double the ricotta mixture, and the directions are not clear about when to use the cheeses. BUT I am an experienced hone cook, so this recipe was easy for me to wing it. A new cook might find the recipe confusing but it really is so easy and delicious.
I love honest feedback! It helps me to see my recipes with fresh eyes. I will look over my recipe and see if it needs to be changed. I'm glad your family enjoyed it!
I didn’t understand the directions in the recipe where it said add half a cup of cheese? Is this where you add the cheddar cheese, or are you saying add a Half of a cup of mozzarella cheese? At the end you say the rest of the cheese but it doesn’t specify if you’re talking a combination of mozzarella and cheddar or what?
Thanks for asking! I adjusted the recipe to be more clear. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Honestly, any combination on how you add the cheese would work well. Thankfully, cheese is pretty forgiving. :-)
If I make this advance and place it in the freezer. How long would I have to bake it for? Is it still 40 minutes or will it take longer since it’s frozen?
No, it would take a lot longer. I would recommend pulling the casserole out and putting it in the fridge in the morning and let it start to thaw there. Then cook it that evening. If it is frozen, it would take a considerable amount of time longer.
I made this last night and my whole family asked for seconds. Such a perfect, easy meal!
So glad you liked it!! :-)