These fun and delicious cookies are perfect for spring and Easter! Gooey Easter Cookies only have a handful of ingredients and start from a cake mix. They couldn't be more easy or fun!
Cookies that start from a cake mix are so easy because only a few other ingredients need to be added. Gooey butter cookies are another cookie that starts from a cake mix. Gooey Easter Cookies are soft and chewy and full of flavor.
The bright colored sprinkles will remind your family of spring and new life. What a great addition to your Easter dessert table!
- Funfetti cake mix - Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix is what is to be used for the base. If you can't find it, a white cake mix can be used, then you can add in more sprinkles.
- Cream cheese - You can use store brand cream cheese for this recipe.
- Easter/Spring sprinkles
- Powdered sugar - The powdered sugar is for the outside of the cookie before baking.
How to make Gooey Easter Cookies
The process to make these cake mix cookies are very simple. I recommend using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. It makes the mixing of the cake mix into the cream cheese and butter easier.
You can certainly use good old elbow grease.
Cream the butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl. The cream cheese and butter needs to be softened. To do that, let both the butter and cream cheese sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes before you are ready to make these cookies.
Next, mix in the vanilla and egg until well blended.
Add the cake mix
Adding the cake mix can get a little tricky, only because the mixture will be thick. That is why I feel a mixer is best, but again, a wooden spoon works as well.
Adding the powdered sugar and sprinkles
After the dough is mixed together, then the cookies will need to be scooped out and rolled in powdered sugar. The Easter cookie dough will then need to be flattened lightly with a glass.
The dough won't flatten completely by itself, so a gentle nudge is needed so the cookies aren't a ball shape when done cooking.
Add the sprinkles after flattening the cookies.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they are starting to turn a golden brown. The cookies will start to firm.
Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack, then store them on the counter in an airtight container.
Pin for later!
Gooey Easter Cookies
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup margarine softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Easter/Spring Sprinkles
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Add in the cake mix and mix well. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop out dough and roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown and cookies are starting to firm.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment!