This Creamy Hawaiian Salad has all the favorites one would want in a fruit salad. Pudding mix, whipped cream and pineapple come together to make this salad creamy, tasty with a flavor that can't miss!
A perfect salad to compliment most dinner recipes, the Creamy Hawaiian Salad is so simple to make. This fruit salad recipe could be taken to picnics, parties or to compliment a dish like grilled chicken, pineapple baked ham or honey chicken.
Why you will love this recipe
- Simple to make
- Great to take to potlucks or picnics
- Easy ingredients
- Doesn't heat up your kitchen
- Adaptable for your family's tastes
- mini marshmallows - store brand or name brand work fine for this recipe.
- dry powdered milk - store brand or name brand will work
- tidbit pineapple - tidbit size works the best for this recipe. Crushed would be too soggy and chunks would be too big.
- instant vanilla pudding - I used French Vanilla pudding and I loved the flavor it added. Make sure to buy the instant pudding and not the cook and serve.
- whipped cream - I usually recommend ONLY name brand whipped cream for recipes like this. I feel it holds its shape better than store brand.
- apples - I used Gala but any sweet apple would work.
Reserve the juice
The pineapple needs to be drained of its juices. However, the juice will need to be drained in a bowl so you can reserve the juice for the recipe. The pineapple juice and water will be combined to be added to the pudding and powdered milk.
How to make creamy Hawaiian salad
Start by draining the pineapple of the juice in a separate bowl. Mix together the vanilla pudding (dry, no ingredients added) and powdered milk.
Add the pineapple juice and water and mix well. It will start to thicken and that is okay.
What does fold mean in recipes?
When a recipe says to fold an ingredient in, it means to take special care. You don't want active stirring motion or the ingredients may break down and give an unwanted result.
The fold action is to take a spatula and lift the ingredients up and over each other, slowly and carefully until they are incorporated.
Fold in whipped cream
Fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture carefully until well incorporated.
Adding the fruit
Now add the drained pineapple, apples and marshmallows. Fold these ingredients in carefully as well.
This Hawaiian salad needs to be chilled. It can be eaten right away after making it if you are in a hurry, but it really needs to be chilled for the flavors to blend. For best results, let the salad blend for 2 hours before serving.
Yes you can! We are not coconut fans over at our house but ½ cup of shredded coconut would be delicious.
I recommend it. It helps the pudding thicken up and adds flavor to the recipe.
No, they shouldn't. The pineapple juice should help prevent the apples from turning brown. If you are concerned about that, you can soak the apples pieces in the pineapple juice.
Store the Creamy Hawaiian Salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Also, if you take this recipe to a picnic, be sure to take precaution to keeping it chilled while serving. Don't let it sit in the hot sun.
This salad is so creamy and delicious (and full of flavor!), your family will love it.
Pin for later!
Creamy Hawaiian Salad
- 1 Strainer
- ¾ cup dry powdered milk
- 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding I used French Vanilla
- 8 oz tidbit pineapple In 100% juice, drained reserving juice
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup whipped cream
- 1 apple diced, seeds removed
- 1 cup marshmallows mini
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry pudding mix and dry powdered milk.
- Stir in the reserved pineapple juice and water.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Fold in apples, pineapple and marshmallows.
- Cover and let chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment!