Chocolate Swirl Cookies starts with a cookie dough recipe. Easy as 1-2-3, these cookies will be in the oven and melting in your mouth in no time! A little chocolate, a little chocolate chip combine for a great and delicious dessert treat.
Yes, I enjoy cookies. I enjoy all types of cookies and all shapes of cookies. I even enjoy a bad cookie.
Of course, is there really anything that can be called a "bad" cookie? Probably few and far between my friends. Few and far between...
Chocolate swirl cookies starts with a basic cookie dough recipe. I use the cookie dough recipe often, as it is my go to recipe when I need to bring something to a potluck or family gathering.
Here are potluck tips for children. From a mom of four. ;-)
I try to bring unique items to such gatherings, but as you can imagine, sometimes we just need a golden oldie because we are too busy to try anything new.
As my children and hubby tell me, "It is your classic cookie recipe." It really is.
The chocolate secret
When whipping some chocolate chip cookies up the other day, I wanted to try something new. I often had wondered what would happen to the cookie recipe if I added chocolate (or rather cocoa) to the batter, but I had never tried it.
Certainly adding chocolate to the batter would get a chocolate cookie, however I wanted a little more oomph then just chocolate.
I know, what if I only put chocolate in half the batter and left the other half a chocolate chip cookie? What would happen then?
Well, as I discovered, I got chocolate swirl cookies. Simply ingenious, I tell you. Well, maybe it doesn't rank up there like putting a man on the moon or the invention of disposable diapers, but hey, I gotta start somewhere, you know?
How to make the swirl
Swirling the chocolate with the normal cookie was easy. I simply divided the batter in half and added the unsweetened baking cocoa to one of the halves.
I then rolled the cookies into balls and then rolled the chocolate and plain balls together. Then you get a swirl.
Then, bake as normal. You will get a cookie that is half chocolate chip and half chocolate chocolate chip.
Chocolate Swirl Cookies
- 1 cup margarine (softened)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix butter, sugar and brown sugar together in a large bowl
- Add in the egg and stir well
- Mix in flour, baking soda and salt
- Mix in chocolate chips
- Separate the dough evenly into two bowls
- Mix in the baking cocoa into one of the bowls
- Stir well
- Form a 1 inch ball with the plain dough and form a 1 inch ball with the chocolate dough
- Roll the dough together to make one ball of dough
- Set on an ungreased cookie sheet, make the rest of the cookies
- Bake at 375* for 7-8 minutes or until done
- (We like our cookies more on the soft and chewy side, we bake them for less time. For crunchy cookies, bake longer.)