Apple cake with caramel drizzle is a one bowl wonder. Delicious and EASY this fall apple recipe would be great to take to a cookout. Enjoy those fall flavors of sweet apple and rich caramel!
Apples and fall just go together. To be truthful, I prefer an apple dessert over a pumpkin dessert any day. Though this pumpkin ice cream roll was delightful to say the least.
Apple cake with caramel drizzle is a one bowl deliciousness that is easy to make, has simple ingredients and can be made in a hurry. It also gets eaten in a hurry, but that is to be expected.
What type of apples are best for baking?
There are certain types of apples that are better for baking than the others. A Red Delicious apple works best for eating. A Granny Smith apple bakes so well as it is rather tart. It is probably too tart to eat plain for most people. (Though my children love them!) I personally bake with Fuji the most as I like how it holds up when baked. You don't want the apples to turn into sauce while making a cake.
If you are interested, I put together a small guide of what apples are the best for eating, baking and sauce.
Can I use one bowl for this cake?
Yes you can and those types of recipes tend to be my favorite. When I only have dirty one bowl, that is a good baking day. You will need to wash, peel and cut up the apples separately. Another good one bowl recipe is this applesauce cake.
What are the steps in making this recipe?
First, cream the butter and sugar together then add the eggs and vanilla. I personally don't ever measure vanilla. It is a dump and go method over here. However, never fear, I included the amount of vanilla needed for you in the recipe card below. ;-)
Now mix all the dry ingredients together and fold in the apples. Spread in a 9x13 cake pan and bake.
How to add the caramel drizzle
The caramel drizzle is simply Kraft caramels melted down to make a drizzle. I also added a little bit of almond milk in the pan with the caramels to keep the caramels from sticking and to make the drizzle more drizzly. Sure that is a word. ;-)
Apple Cake With Caramel Drizzle
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 medium apples peeled and cut into bit sized pieces
- 10 Kraft caramels unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon milk or almond milk
- Cream the sugar and butter together in a medium bowl
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla
- Mix in the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda
- Stir well then fold in the apples
- Place dough mixture in a greased 9x13 cake pan and bake at 350* for 40 minutes or until cake test done with a toothpick
- After the apple cake is done baking, set on cooling rack to cool. Meanwhile, melt unwrapped caramels and milk together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly
- Drizzle over cooled cake and serve