Homemade Cinnamon Bread is so easy to make and great for your family suppers. Brown sugar and cinnamon rolled up in a delicious bread. You could eat it for breakfast or for snack!
This post was updated 2/5/20
Making homemade cinnamon bread is easy, delicious and can cheer up a 14 year old while they are home sick. This bread is gooey, flavorful and has cinnamon and brown sugar in it. How can that go wrong?
You can make this homemade bread with a bread machine or Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Either will work. The following recipe will describe how to make it in a stand mixer. To make it in the bread machine, simply layer all the ingredients in the recipe in the machine and set the setting to dough. Then proceed as the recipe below calls for.
Homemade cinnamon bread is easy to make
Yes, it is rather easy, especially if you have a stand mixer you can use. You can also use your elbow grease to mix the dough. This recipe is a basic sweet bread recipe with a butter, brown sugar and cinnamon mixture filling. You can use white sugar and cinnamon but I feel the brown sugar is richer and adds a depth of flavor to the bread.
Put the ingredients into the mixing bowl in the order listed, with the yeast on top then mix using the dough hook. After the ingredients are mixed, the dough will need to rise.
How long should the dough rise
This is a hotly debated topic. How long should the dough rise for? Well, depends how you want your bread. We like our bread a little softer and more chewy. So, when I rise dough, I tend to let it rise for a shorter period of time. Like if it says 1 hour, maybe I would 40-45 minutes.
Typically, the dough does rise for an hour then it rises again after it is in the pan for another hour. I don't usually have that kind of time. I will place the dough in the pan and let it rise while the oven is preheating. That takes about 10 minutes or so.
To roll out the dough, place flour on the counter top and roll the dough out as wide as the pan, using the pan as reference.
Then, layer butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on top of dough. Roll the dough up starting at the shortest end.
You can brush the top of the dough with melted butter to help the dough turn a golden brown. Then bake.
Other ingredient options
You can use honey and cinnamon in the swirl part of the bread if you want a healthier option. I do use this on occasion, especially now we have our own bees and honey. It is so delicious!
Homemade Cinnamon Bread
- 1 ¼ cup water , heated to 80*
- 4 tsp oil
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups all purpose unbleached flour (or all purpose bleached)
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 T cinnamon
- Add all ingredients in order listed in bowl of stand mixer
- Mix on low speed using the dough hook until the ingredients are blended then put on medium speed. Mix for 5 minutes
- Roll in a rectangle, the width as wide as the loaf pan you will put the dough into
- Cover and take bowl and place in a warm area until double in size
- Spread 3 Tablespoons softened butter onto dough, covering all of dough
- Spread dough evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon
- Roll up dough, starting with short side
- Place in greased loaf pan, and let rise in a warm place while oven is preheating to 350*
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and when you tap on the top, it sounds hollow