Breakfast, brunch or breakfast for supper, this Cheesy Sausage Egg Hashbrown Casserole is prepared in minutes and is a delicious way to start your day. Or end it. Layers of sausage, eggs, hashbrowns and cheese make this breakfast casserole an instant favorite.
Do you ever have breakfast for dinner? We do often. We enjoy breakfast dishes but rarely have time to enjoy them at breakfast!
So when I get the chance to make a breakfast casserole like this cheesy sausage egg hashbrown casserole for supper, I jump at the chance.
Breakfast for supper
I used to think breakfast for supper was faster than making a regular supper, but I don't believe it is. We often make pancakes (blueberry is a favorite) or applesauce puffs. That, of course, requires baking dishes.
However, we all enjoy eating breakfast foods and to have the time to make this casserole (let alone eat it) makes the family happy.
See also: Bacon Spinach Quiche
Time saving tips for breakfast at supper:
- If you can, make the muffins, breakfast casseroles or even pancakes ahead of time. You can reheat the pancakes and just pop the casserole in the oven.
- Make sure you have nothing going on that night. Enjoy the family time so you aren't rushed like you are at breakfast.
- Bake the bacon in the oven at 400* for 15 minutes or until crisp. You don't have to watch it like you do on the stove and you can use the stove space for eggs or other food items.
- Have sausage pre-cooked in the freezer. If you cook the sausage ahead of time and freeze it, the prep work for breakfast at dinner goes faster.
The most time consuming part of making this casserole (besides the baking) is cooking the sausage.
I personally believe sausage takes longer to cook than hamburger does, though I am not sure why. Maybe it is my imagination.
Cook up the sausage until it is no longer pink.
After cooking, layer in a greased 9x13 baking dish in this order: hashbrowns, eggs, sausage and cheese. You will also pour a little milk (we use almond milk) in the pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until done. Be sure to cover the dish with foil then remove it for the last 10 minutes or so. It will help the cheese to melt.
This breakfast casserole is really that easy! You can certainly add green peppers or green onions to the layering process (about ½ cup). That would add a little punch to the flavor.
I certainly add salt and pepper to ours.
I also used a cheddar cheese but they have a new cheese with a bacon flavor called Smoky Bacon Cheddar. It wasn't used on this casserole, but I have used it in the past and it is delicious!
Cheesy Sausage Egg Hashbrown Casserole
- 20 oz frozen hashbrowns
- 6 eggs beaten
- 16 oz sausage
- 1 ½ cup milk I used almond milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook up sausage in frying pan until it is no longer pink
- Layer in a greased 9x13 pan, frozen hashbrowns, beaten eggs, sausage.**See Note Below**
- Pour milk over top and sprinkle on the cheese
- Cover with foil and bake at 400* for 40-45 minutes or until eggs are set
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes
- Note: You can certainly add green onions or green peppers to this dish to give it a little more kick. If you do, I recommend ½ cup of either. Also, I added salt and pepper to our liking. Need a measurement? I would say 1 tsp each.