Simple and bursting with flavor, these Lemon Brownies will be devoured quickly. This lemon dessert recipe starts with a cake mix and is topped with a browned butter lemon frosting. Oh so yummy!
I really like recipes that start with a cake mix. It makes the recipe quick and simple with only a few ingredients. Gooey Strawberry Cookies and Brown Sugar Coffee Cake are a few we make around our house.
Aren't we all in hurry sometimes?
No worries, these Lemon Brownies won't disappoint. The brown butter frosting is something to talk about as well. Rich, creamy and the flavor literally pops in your mouth.
Why you will love this recipe
- It is a simple recipe that starts with a cake mix.
- A cake is its base.
- The recipe comes together in minutes
- The flavor pops in your mouth.
- lemon cake mix - you can use any brand of lemon cake mix
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice - from concentrate
How much does this recipe make?
This recipe only makes a 8x8 pan. The batter is really thick as you want a brownie like texture. I have never tried doubling the recipe, however, it should work well if you want a 9x13 pan of lemon brownies.
How to make lemon brownies
I like recipes I can add all ingredients to the bowl and stir. This is such a recipe. The cake mix, oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon are adding together in a large bowl and mixed together.
As mentioned above, the batter will be thick and that is what you want.
Lining the pan
I strongly recommend lining the pan with foil for easy removal. You certainly don't have to, but it does make a cleaner brownie. Parchment paper can be used as well to line the pan instead of the foil.
Reguardless, be sure to spray the foil (or 8x8 or 9x9 pan if not using foil) with cooking spray before putting the batter in the pan.
The oven needs to be set at 350 degress and the lemon dessert brownies will bake for about 20 minutes until the center is set.
Browned butter lemon frosting
Honestly, I feel this frosting is the best frosting known to the earth. Maybe because I grew up with it on the Applesauce Cake my mom would make.
The margarine gets melted on the stovetop and lightly browned while cooking. Then to the margarine, powdered sugar is added and lemon juice.
The lemon juice adds an additional pop of flavor to the already delicious brownies and it just seals the deal.
Pin for later!
Try these delicious and flavorful brownies. They are such a fun twist from the classic chocolate brownie.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice from concentrate
Browned Butter Frosting
- ¼ cup margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with foil or parchment paper (optional). Spray pan or liner with cooking spray.
- Mix the lemon cake mix, oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice together in a large mixing bowl. Batter will be thick.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until center is set.
- Let cool.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- After the butter is melted, stirring frequently, let the butter simmer until the butter turns a darker color.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Frost the lemon brownies.