Easter Poke Cake is a twist on regular White Texas Sheet Cake. A simple cake recipe you can make for your Easter gathering! Sprinkled with pastel M&M's, this cake will be a delight for your family and friends.
Easter Poke Cake starts with a basic White Texas Sheet Cake and somewhere in the middle finds a creamy filling. Then, when no one is looking, gets topped with a delicious white frosting and pastel M&M's for that oh-so-necessary chocolate craving.
Do I have you interested, yet?
I would hope so.
To add the to the Easter-y thought of this cake, you could, COULD add dyed green coconut. I didn't because, well, coconut is mostly banned in this house.
However, if you want to sprinkle the top with the green coconut, you can check out this tutorial here. It is very simple to do and it adds a splash of color (and flavor) to your Easter cakes.
What makes White Texas Sheet Cake Different?
It typically is served in a jelly roll style pan like this one. It also is incredibly moist. The boiling of the butter, oil and water then having that hot mixture poured on the flour is what sets this type of cake apart.
Easter poke cake is made with a basic white Texas sheet cake except I put it in a normal cake pan like this one. After baking, you poke holes in the cake and fill it with sweetened condensed milk. (My husband could drink this milk right out of the can!)
The baking of this cake takes only about 15 minutes and the rest comes together easily.
Melt together butter, oil and water until brought to a full boil.
Pour the boiling mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and bake. After baking, let the cake cool on the counter for about 30 minutes.
Then poke holes into the cake (where ever you want them works). It doesn't have to be consist though you do want them throughout the cake.
After you poke the holes in the cake, pour the sweetened condensed milk over top the cake. Let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Make up the frosting and pour on top. Sprinkle chopped M&M's on top. Let sit in fridge for about 30 minutes.
There is a lot of resting/cooling time, but the cake itself comes together so easily and in little time. Prepare this cake for your Easter celebration. It'll be a hit!
Need Easter recipes? Try: Peeps Parfait
Easter Poke Cake
- ½ c margarine
- ½ c vegetable oil
- 1 c water
- 2 ⅔ c all purpose flour
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ c milk or almond milk
- ½ c sweetened condensed milk
For The Frosting
- 2 ½ c powdered sugar
- ¼ c margarine melted
- 3 T water
- 1 c M&M candies chopped
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a medium saucepan, melt ½ cup margarine, oil and water and bring to boil
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Add the boiling mixture. Stir
- Stir in eggs, vanilla, baking soda, salt and milk. Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake at 350* for 17-20 minutes or until cake tests done
- Remove from oven and let cool on counter for 30 minutes
- Poke holes (see pictures above) in cake
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into the holes until all the holes are filled. You won't use the whole can (it will be about ½ cup)
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Whisk together powdered sugar, melted margarine and water
- Pour over cooled cake
- Sprinkle chopped pastel M&M's. Serve