Caramel Shortbread Cookies with delicious (and easy to make) shortbread topped with caramel and chocolate. Add to the top salty pretzels and you have yourself a “WOW” dessert!
I love sending our oldest, Ryan, food texts. After I make something delicious and worthy of cyber-fame, I send it to him to make him long for home. It’s not cruel, it’s just to remind him the fast food he is eating with the cross country team after a meet is no way better than my cooking. It’s job security.
The caramel shortbread cookies deserved to be sent through cyberspace. And I got a text back from him. Except this time, he was at a race he wasn’t running in, it got delayed and he was there hours longer than he thought he would have to be and on the way home he didn’t have money to buy the food the team was buying.
He may, MAY have been a little disgruntled. You know. Because of the hunger.
He did appreciate the caramel shortbread cookies once he got home. He also begged for more than one.
May I also point out that my 15 year old son also will show the food I send him to his friends (on occasion) and I am well known for my homemade cinnamon rolls. Just thought I would share. :-)
Caramel Shortbread Cookies
The shortbread cookie itself only has a few ingredients to it. There is 1 cup of butter (real butter) so it is not a frugal recipe but it is so good, it is easy to overlook.
After making the shortbread cookie, you add the caramel on top. Then the melted chocolate chips. After each layer, you let it cool. It doesn’t take very long, just a few minutes in the fridge will do it.
The flaky shortbread, the rich caramel and the yummy chocolate topped with crushed pretzels makes a dessert your family will love.
Caramel Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cup flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup caramel
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Mix the butter and sugar together in large bowl
- Stir in vanilla
- Add in flour, a little at a time until fully mixed. You can add in a little water (tsp at a time) to mixture to help the dough stick together
- Turn out on a floured surface and roll out, about 1/2 inch thick
- Using a circle dough cutter, cut out dough for cookies
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 7 minutes at 375*
- When cookies are done, let cool
- Melt caramel according to package directions
- Spread caramel on cookie. Let cool completely
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Melt 15 second at a time, stirring each time until melted
- Spread on top of cooled caramel. Sprinkle crushed pretzels on top of melted chocolate. Let cool. Serve
The nutrition facts you see here are estimates. Please see our nutrition page.
Baking With Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. If you purchase through the links, I will receive a small commission.