Gooey Chocolate Cookies made with cream cheese and a boxed cake mix is an easy cookie recipe you make up in a hurry. Super simple and super good, these cookies are topped with a candy favorite, 3 Musketeer bars.
A cookie that starts with a cake mix is the best. It is simple, easy and full of rich flavor. The Gooey Strawberry Cookies and Lemon Brownies start with a cake mix.
Gooey Chocolate Cookies uses a devil's food cake mix and creamy cream cheese. It also has a sprinkle of fun on top, chopped up 3 Musketeer Bars.
Why you will love these cookies
- Easy to make
- Full of chocolate flavor
- Any leftover candy will work for the topping
- No candy? Powdered sugar works too!
Cake mix options
There are many cake mix options for these chocolate cream cheese cookies. A regular chocolate cake mix can be used. So can a German chocolate cake mix. Any brand will do, but I used a Betty Crocker cake mix.
- devil's food cake mix - I used Betty Crocker cake mix
- cream cheese - store brand is fine
- margarine - softened
- candy - I used 3 Musketeers for this recipe. Any leftover Easter candy will work. (Or Halloween candy, Christmas candy, etc.)
Using a hand mixer
I really recommend using a hand mixer for this cookie recipe. A stand mixer works as well.
I have used good old arm strength and that works but it does get rather thick towards the end of the mixing process and becomes harder to stir.
Making Gooey Chocolate Cookies
First, the butter and cream cheese needs to be mixed together in a large bowl.
Then, add in the vanilla, milk and egg and blend well.
The cake mix is last and that is when stirring gets a little tricky. If needed, you can add a little more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time to help stir the batter.
Remember though, the batter will be and should be thick.
Place the cookie batter on an ungreased baking sheet using a scoop or spoon. Then press the candy pieces into the batter. The gooey chocolate cookies will bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
It doesn't take long to cook these cookies so be sure to stick close. When done, they will cool on a cooling rack.
- If you are having a hard time stirring the batter, add 1 teaspoon milk at a time to the batter.
- These cookies don't take long to bake so be sure to keep an eye on them.
- You will know they are done when they have a dome shape and are soft but have a firmness to them.
- Let the cookies cool completely.
These cake mix gooey chocolate cookies are so easy to make and will be enjoyed by your family and friends alike. Great to take to class parties and you can make them in a hurry!
Pin for later!
Gooey Chocolate Cookies
- 15.25 oz devil food cake mix Betty Crocker was used for this recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup margarine softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoon milk can use almond milk
- ½ cup chopped candy bar pieces I used 3 Musketeers
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Chop up the 3 Musketeers and set aside.
- Blend together margarine and cream cheese in a large bowl using a mixer or by hand.
- Mix in vanilla, egg and milk.
- Mix in the dry cake mix.
- Blend well. Mixture will be thick. You can add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time as need to stir the mixture easier.
- Using a scoop, scoop cookie batter on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle candy pieces on top of unbaked cookies and press down lightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies have a dome shape and are soft yet have a firmness to them.
- Cool on a cooling rack or parchment paper on the counter.