The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is a favorite around here. So these Easy Grinch Cookies are perfect for the Grinch fans in your house. This simple recipe can be made up quickly to enjoy the classic television show.
These Easy Grinch Cookies are a fun for the Grinch fans in your life. These Grinch themed cookies are also easy to make, as they start from a vanilla cake mix. (White cake mix can also be used.)
A soft cookie with only a handful of ingredients and fun to have when the family gathers around the television watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas. (The cartoon version, of course!) Make sure to eat these cookies with the Grinch Punch too!
- vanilla cake mix - white cake mix can be used too
- cream cheese
- green dye
- coarse sanding sugar - optional, but adds a nice crunch to the cookies
- red heart candies - any kind will do
The type of cream cheese you use is up to you, however I do recommend Philadelphia cream cheese as it does add a zing that store bought cream cheese doesn't seem to have.
The cake mix needs to be a white cake mix or vanilla. The yellow cake mix may make the green dye look a little off so I recommend a white cake mix or vanilla. But if all you have is a yellow cake mix, go for it.
Soften the cream cheese and butter
Make sure the cream cheese and margarine is softened before you start mixing. If you don't, there may be clumps throughout the batter. To soften the cream cheese and margarine, set them on the counter for 20 minutes before you are ready to start baking.
The margarine and cream cheese can also be placed on a small plate in the microwave for 15-18 seconds. Make sure margarine doesn't melt, you need a little firmness to it for it to mix well with the cream cheese.
Mixing the batter
The batter is best if you use a hand mixer or stand mixer. I prefer a stand mixer but I have used a hand mixer. Good old fashioned elbow grease works too, but to get the cream cheese and margarine properly mixed, a mixer is best.
Green food coloring
After all the mixing of the ingredients is done, then add the green coloring.
The green coloring can be liquid drops or a gel type coloring. Add enough color for your liking to match what you feel the color of the Grinch looks like. It may take a time or two of mixing to get the color you would like. That is fine.
Baking the Easy Grinch Cookies
The batter will be rolled into balls then rolled in the coarse sanding sugar. The sugar isn't necessary, however it adds a nice little crunch and a little extra to the cake mix Grinch cookies. After placing the cookies on the cookie sheet, they will need to be flatted slightly with your hand or the bottom of a glass.
The oven can be set on 375 degrees for only about 8-10 minutes.
After baking, place the heart on the cookie while the cookies are still warm. The heart will set and the cookies will look like their heart grew 3 sizes that day.
Pin for later!
The sanding sugar looks like snowflakes on these delicious and soft Easy Grinch Cookies. Enjoy these cookies with Grinch Punch, a glass of milk and lots of fun with your family.
Easy Grinch Cookies
- 13.25 oz vanilla cake mix or white. 1 box.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup margarine 1 stick
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coarse sanding sugar optional
- green food coloring
- candy hearts
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a stand mixer, mix together margarine and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in egg and vanilla mix well.
- Mix in dry cake mix, a little at a time on low speed.
- Add 2 drops of green food coloring and stir. Keep adding food coloring until desired color of Grinch.
- Scoop out dough using 1 inch scoop into a bowl with the sanding sugar in it. Roll the dough into the sanding sugar then place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Lightly flatten cookies on the cookie sheet using your hand or the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are starting to firm.
- Remove from oven and carefully press candy heart in the cookie.
- Let cool and serve.