Are you ready to celebrate the Red White and Blue? We sure are! These Patriotic Sugar Cookies are perfect for celebrating Memorial Day or the 4th of July. These sugar cookies are a simple cookie recipe with a cream cheese frosting for easy spreading and decorating.
These Patriotic Sugar Cookies are so kid friendly and fun to make! The base is a simple sugar cookie recipe which is topped with red white and blue patriotic sprinkles and a delicious cream cheese frosting.
Kids love to help in the kitchen and if you give them sprinkles... your kids will think you are the best. And you get cookies out of the deal. Not bad.
- margarine - you can also use butter
- flour - all purpose flour
- baking powder
- cream cheese - store brand or Philadelphia
- powdered sugar
- milk - you can also use almond milk
Cream cheese frosting
This sugar cookie recipe can be frosting with a variety of frosting but I thought a cream cheese frosting would be best. I adjusted the cream cheese frosting recipe a little bit for this recipe.
A cream cheese frosting has a slight zing to it that makes the cookies sing. The frosting can be made thick enough for it to be spread out easily OR to put it in a piping bag.
A Royal Icing would work well for these cookies too.
The cream cheese frosting recipe is only 4 ingredients and comes together easily.
Pro Tip: Mix the cream cheese and powered sugar carefully together with a hand mixer or the powered sugar will go flying.
How to make patriotic sugar cookies
First, mix the together the margarine, egg, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl using a mixing spoon. Stir in the baking powder.
The key to keeping this sugar cookie dough mixable, is to add the flour in one cup at a time. If you add all three cups in at the same time, the dough is very hard to mix. The ingredients will not be incorporated as easily.
Cutting out the cookies
To cut out the cookies, be sure to roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. The rolling pin needs to be lightly floured as well.
The dough rolls better if chilled, however if you are in a time crunch, it can be rolled immediately after making it.
The cookies will be placed on an ungreased cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness.
We like our sugar cookies a little thicker so they take a bit longer to cook.
To store these cookies, put them in an airtight container after the frosting has hardened. It would be best to put a sheet of waxed paper between layers of cookies.
Making these sugar cookies to celebrate our country with your family and friends will put everyone in the mood for Red, White and Blue! This is such a simple cookie recipe and the whole family can help make them!
Pin for later!
Patriotic Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup margarine softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For The Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream together margarine, egg, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Add the flour, 1 cup at a time until the flour is incorporated well.
- Place the sugar cookie dough on a lightly floured countertop.
- Roll out dough and cut out using star or flag cookie cutters.
- Place cut out cookie dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are firm and turning a very light golden brown.
For The Frosting
- Meanwhile, blend the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar using a hand mixer.
- Mix in the vanilla and milk.
- After cookies have cooled, spread or pipe the frosting on the cookies and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Take care when blending the cream cheese and powdered sugar, the powdered sugar could go flying.
- If needed when making the frosting, add more powdered sugar or milk depending on how thick you want the frosting.