This Stuffed Cheesy Meatloaf is delicious. It even passed the family test. Stuffed with onions, cheese and some liquid smoke, this meatloaf will be a delight for supper. This meatloaf is so easy to make, it will be in the oven and cooking in no time.
Oh meatloaf. A classic American supper staple.
This stuffed cheesy meatloaf is delicious and a must make again. This ground beef recipe is loaded with cheddar cheese and onions with just enough smoky flavor to compliment the recipe.
Another name for this would be cheeseburger meatloaf because of the cheese and onions, and of course the ketchup.
Meatloaf or Meatballs
Making meatloaf is a tricky beast. On one hand, it is just like meatballs so everyone in my family should like it. On the other hand, if you say MEAT LOAF, the loaf at the end makes it sound scary, I guess.
But it is the same basic recipe with a few lovely twists. Like cheese. And green onions.
However, shaped a different way, it must just taste better.
- ground beef - a 80/20 ratio is preferred
- bread crumbs
- cheddar cheese - a marble cheese mix would be good too
- green onions - chopped yellow onions work well if you don't want to use green onions
- liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
Fat content in meatloaf
The best fat content for a meatloaf is 80/20 percent. Some like to use a 70/30 mixture but think it is too greasy if a 70% is used.
If a 90% is used, the meatloaf may taste dry. Of course, it is really a personal preference.
How to make stuffed cheesy meatloaf
So every good recipe starts with chopped green onions. Well, in my humble opinion.
Chop up about ½ cup of green onions and set aside.
Making meatloaf is actually rather easy. Simply mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup and liquid smoke in a large bowl.
What is liquid smoke?
Well it used in cooking meat a lot and adds a smokey, richness to the meat. In the stuffed cheesy meatloaf, it complimented the green onion and hamburger and added texture to the flavor.
Stuffing the ground beef
After you mix the ingredients up in a large bowl, using lightly sprayed wax paper on the bottom of the large cookie sheet, spread out the meat mixture to a rectangle shape.
Then roll the meat back up like you would cinnamon roll dough. Then place in a greased loaf pan.
Bake this meatloaf at 375 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours or until center is done and no longer pink.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or tightly wrapped for up to 48 hours.
Stuffed Cheesy Meatloaf
- 1 loaf pan
- 2 lbs ground beef 80/20
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, egg and liquid smoke together in large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste (I recommend 2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoon pepper).
- Spread mixture out on lightly greased waxed paper and form into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle green onions and cheese on top of hamburger mixture.
- Roll up like you would cinnamon rolls (starting with long side) and place in a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 375* for 1 ½ hours or until cooked through.
- Slice and serve