I always thought boxed cake mix was the way to go, until I started making cakes from scratch. Homemade Devil's Food Cupcakes are so easy. You won't want to get a box mix again.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Homemade Devil's Food Cupcakes were a pleasant surprise to my kids as they came home from school one day. It is so easy to make cake from scratch. The box is a good standby, but the flavor of homemade tops a box mix by far.
Give it a try!
Is there a lot of ingredients in a homemade cake?
No! Sure, there are more than in a boxed cake mix, where you add only eggs, oil and water. For homemade cakes or cupcakes, the ingredient list is a bit longer, but not too long. In fact, this recipe has only 9 ingredients. Most of which, you should already have at home!
What gives devil's food cake that reddish color?
It is the reaction of the cocoa powder and baking soda that gives Devil's Food Cupcakes that classic color.
If I don't want to use shortening, what can I use instead?
You can use even amounts of butter instead of shortening if you would prefer. An even swap will work.
Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Using mixer, cream together the shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Then, add water and dry mixture, alternately until all is combined.
Add to lined or lightly greased cupcake pans.
Bake at 350* and let cool.
What kind of frosting should I use?
We have fallen in love with whipped frosting. To make whipped frosting, use 1 pint of whipping cream and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Easy! It is really important to have a hand mixer like this one or a kitchen aid mixer like this one to make homemade whipping cream frosting.
Try other cake recipes from Baking With Mom
Homemade Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour I use unbleached
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer or kitchen aid mixer, cream together shortening, sugar and vanilla. Mix until well combined
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well
- Add flour mixture about ½ cup at a time, switching with water. So, about ½ cup flour mixture, half cup water until all is combined while mixer is on low speed
- Pour into cupcake tins that are lightly greased or lined with cupcake liners
- Bake at 350* for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- For whipped frosting: Pour heavy whipping cream into bowl and mix on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken and there are peaks on the beaters
- While on low speed, pour in 1 cup of powdered sugar into whipping cream. Mix until mixture is thickened
- **Please note: calorie count is only for cupcakes, not frosting**