A delicious breakfast recipe for your family. Full of sweet blueberries, this Brown Sugar Blueberry Coffee Cake will be just what is needed on a Monday morning. Or Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Sounds like an any day breakfast.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you know. I mean if you saw this Brown Sugar Blueberry Coffee Cake, wouldn't you have to agree?
How could you say no to the sweet blueberries, brown sugar streusel topping and moist coffee cake?
You can't. Just admit it.
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- flour (for topping)
- melted butter (for topping)
- cinnamon (for topping)
To make this homemade blueberry coffee cake, it is really a mix and bake type of recipe. Simply cream the butter and sugar together then add the eggs.
Then the dry ingredients will be mixed together in a separate bowl.
You don't want to add the milk and flour mixture to the egg mixture all at once or you may get lumps, clumps and unmixed ingredients.
It is better if you add a little milk. Stir.
A little flour. Stir.
So forth until you have fully incorporated all the ingredients together.
The blueberries need to be folded into the batter. You don't want to stir so you won't squish the blueberries.
If blueberry squishing takes place, not a big deal, but whole round blueberries looks better. It all tastes the same, though.
This breakfast recipe is cooked in a 9x13 greased pan at 375*. It does take a little time to bake, about 50 minutes to cook all the way through. Oven temperatures do vary so be sure to check after 40 minutes.
It can be made ahead of time, like the night before, and it tastes fine. I must admit, I like fresh out of the oven coffee cake. The blueberries are warm, the brown sugar topping is crunchy. Still good, day old, but just love the taste of fresh.
Yes! You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries. Both work fine for this recipe, just make sure they are clean.
No, you certainly don't. However, it adds so much crunch and flavor.
No, it doesn't. The leftovers can be kept on the counter covered in an airtight container.
Brown Sugar Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups blueberries
For The Topping
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup softened butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven 375°
- Cream together the ½ cup butter and white sugar in a large bowl
- Mix in the eggs
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Stir in the milk, a little at a time, alternating with flour mixture into the egg mixture. (A little milk, a little flour, etc...)
- Fold in the blueberries
- Spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Set aside
For The Topping
- Mix together brown sugar, flour, Softened butter and cinnamon
- Sprinkle over top of the blueberry coffee cake and bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 375° for 50 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. *Remember, ovens may vary slightly so always allow a few minutes of wiggle room when following a recipe.*