One Dish Mexican Chicken And Rice is a delicious and flavorful meal, made in one pan. Completely easy to make and it is a healthier dish to feed your family. Serve in a tortilla or with chips, your family will love this supper!
I may or may not talk a lot about taco related food dishes on Baking With Mom. It’s kind of my thing.
I also love inventing new taco like dishes for my family to eat. They like it when I invent taco like dishes because then they aren’t eating just plain tacos. Of course, they love just plain tacos, but my fondness of tacos makes it so we eat them a lot.
They do like a little bit of variety.
One Dish Mexican Chicken And Rice
The one dish recipe is a favorite among busy moms. You can toss everything into a simple pan, stir it a couple of times and viola! You have a meal. That isn’t even talking about clean up. Clean up is a cinch. Even if you don’t make your children wash the dishes. 😉
I put together this meal last minute, adding ingredients as I went. I had some chicken I had cooked and frozen and used two chicken breasts for it. I also wanted rice, knowing some of my family would eat this with tortilla chips and others with a flour tortilla.
I tried it both ways and it was delightful. You can certainly just eat it with a spoon.
You Have The Ingredients
The ingredients are basic: beans, tomatoes with chili’s, rice, chicken and tomato sauce. You can add cheese if you would like. I opted not to (gasp, I know). We add cheese to most things but went the cheeseless route this time. It had to happen sometime, ya know.
I used my favorite pan for one dish meals, the Rachael Ray deep skillet. I can cook a lot of food in there (enough to feed a hungry crew of 6!).
The One Dish Mexican Chicken And Rice makes a lot so you will have leftovers. Great for lunches the next day. Actually, if you wanted to make up a big batch of chicken recipe for lunches, your family will love you for it. Just be sure to pack the chips.
- 2 cooked and diced chicken breasts
- 1½ cup dried rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chili's (do not drain)
- 1 can black beans (do not drain)
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Place cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce in a large skillet
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add rice and 1 cup water
- Stirring occasionally, cook on medium low heat until rice softens and soaks up water
- *If you need to add more water because rice isn't soft enough for your liking, add ½ cup and cook a while longer*
- Serve with tortilla chips or with flour tortillas. Add sour cream and cheese if you choose