Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce is what needs to be on your Thanksgiving or Christmas table. With a twist of orange flavor, this isn't your Mom's cranberry sauce! This classic side dish recipe is so easy to make and can be made ahead of time.
I would always bypass the cranberry sauce in the Thanksgiving food line. Pickles were never passed by, in fact, they are a must every Thanksgiving. (Dill, of course.)
However, I wasn't sure how I felt about cranberry sauce and I didn't really want to try it when there were plenty of other delicious items that I knew I like. Not adventurous, I suppose. That said, this easy homemade cranberry sauce will be the talk of your dinner. And I will forever try cranberry sauce so I don't miss out.
What makes this easy homemade cranberry sauce special? Well, it has a twist in the recipe that gives the sauce an extra punch, extra flavor, extra...depth.
Cranberry sauce can have depth.
Like Cranberry? How about Easy Cranberry Slush
- Whole cranberries
- Orange Juice Concentrate
Orange juice concentrate is the hero in this recipe. That's right, not just orange juice, but orange juice concentrate. The depth of orange flavor sets off the cranberries beautifully. Like in my Orange Cranberry Mini Loaves or in this Cranberry Orange Pound Cake.
The cranberry sauce can be made ahead of time which is a big help on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning to have a few of the side dishes already done so you can focus on the main course.
All you need to make the Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce is a medium sized pot, spoon for stirring and measuring cups and spoons.
Simply boil the water and sugar together. Then add the cranberries. The cranberries will break down while cooking and make them soft. After 8 minutes of cooking, stir in orange juice concentrate and let cook for another 4-5 minutes.
I'm telling you, you will want to let it cook all day on the stove because the smell is A-MAZ-ING!
But don't, the sauce won't end well. ;-)
So, are you going to give it a try? That is all it takes to cooking the cranberry sauce. It simply needs to let cool then keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Easy (and homemade)!
Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 1 bag whole cranberries washed
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate heaping
- Boil water and sugar in a medium saucepan on medium/low heat. Stir occasionally
- Add cranberries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in orange juice concentrate and let cook for another 4-5 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour in a bowl. Let cool (about 30 minutes) then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- If you find that you want to add more orange juice, I would couple teaspoons at a time. That way you won't overpower the taste of the cranberries