Made with simple ingredients from your pantry, these Honey Peanut Butter Granola Bars would be a great addition to your child’s school lunch box.
I may have mentioned once or twice about my inability to make a chewy granola bar that actually, well, sticks together when you pick them up. I don’t know why, but I suppose it is like my inability to roll a rectangle when I make cinnamon rolls. One day, I made great peanut butter granola bars. I was so happy. I almost cried. 😉
It inspired me to make another batch of different granola bars. Honey peanut butter granola bars is made with simple ingredients with items probably already found in your pantry. Of course, it has chocolate chips in it too. Can’t go wrong with that.
Mom is always right
I went a different route with the granola bars then rice krispies which are commonly found in the ingredients. I had acquired a lot, um, a way lot of Multi Grain Cheerios for $1.00 a box. My kids opened the cabinets and asked why do we have so many Cheerios? I told them they had a purpose.
I proved right. 😉
Really, isn’t that the best part of making any granola bar? Well, besides getting it to stick together, but we already covered that. Granola bars are so adaptable. You can add coconut, Craisins, raisins, chocolate, nuts, different cereals; the list goes on and on.
I like making these to go in our kids’ school lunches. They wrap up and store easily. They are chewy and delicious. Be sure to make sure your school doesn’t have any peanut butter issues. Our school allows the kids to take it in their lunches, so we don’t have a problem there.
I love to hear other recipes for homemade granola bars, so if you have one, please share it with us!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 pkg marshmallows (large or small)
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 3½ cups Multi Grain Cheerios
- 1 cup crushed graham cracker squares
- ½-3/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows or low heat stirring often
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and honey
- Mix oats, Cheerios, cracker crumbs in a large bowl
- Pour peanut butter mixture over oats mixture and stir well
- Press mixture into a greased jelly roll pan (15x10x1)
- Use a spatula to press mixture firmly in pan
- Set aside for 10 minutes and place chocolate chips on top and push down
- Let it cool completely