A simple and delicious coffee Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake. Coffee ice cream layered with angel food cake, chocolate and coffee! Such an easy recipe that would be great for your family, guests and gatherings. A great way to cool off this summer!
How many of you wake up each morning to a brewing cup of coffee? Do you not drink coffee but love the taste and smell of it? This Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake has the flavor of coffee mixed with an angel food cake mix and layered with ice cream.
What a summer dessert for the family! So simple yet full of flavor and feeds a crowd. This dessert is one where you don't need a large piece to fill you up, and a little will do. However, nobody will criticize if you take a bigger piece for yourself.
What is Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is an Italian dessert layered with cake or sponge. It is soaked in coffee and has layers of chocolate. It is traditionally made with ladyfingers. In this recipe we are using a boxed angel food cake mix.
Where can I find coffee ice cream?
You can find coffee ice cream most places where you buy ice cream. Sometimes it is harder to find. I found this 1.5 quart at Kroger's.
This is from Turkey Hill and it is Columbian Coffee Ice Cream. It is full of flavor and honestly some of the best coffee ice cream I have had.
Some tips for the tiramisu ice cream cake
- You will want to make sure the ice cream is softened before you try to spread it over the angel food cake. I recommend placing it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- You will want to use instant coffee instead of regular coffee. If you are like me and not want to buy a large jar of instant coffee for fear you will not use it again, you can buy the individual packets. Folgers makes it. They last a long time that way. You can also use the instant coffee to make Mocha Muffins.
- The time it will take this ice cream dessert to fully set up is at least 6 hours. I recommend overnight. So if you have someplace to take this dessert to, I would make it the day before.
How to store this ice cream cake
To store this ice cream cake, you can keep it in the original 9x13 pan and cover it tightly with foil. The leftovers can also be placed in an airtight container.
First bake the angel food cake in loaf pans, Then place the slices in a 9x13 pan. Dissolve the coffee and cocoa in a cup. Pour over the angel food cake for the cake to soak in the coffee/cocoa mixture. Then layer on the ice cream and another layer of angel food cake. Top with whipped heavy whipping cream. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate chips.
Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box angel food mix
- 1 quart coffee ice cream
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 4 teaspoon coffee instant granules
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips chopped
- Make the angel food cake according to the package directions, using two loaf pans to bake the mix in
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Cut slices in the angel food cake and put a layer on the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together the hot water and coffee granules. Add in the cocoa powder and stir until dissolved
- Pour half over angel food cake
- Spread coffee ice cream evenly on top of angel food cake
- Place remaining angel food cake over ice cream. If there isn't enough left to fully cover the pan, that is okay! Pour remaining coffee mixture on top of cake
- Whip heavy cream with a stand mixer or handmixer until stiff and peaks form
- Top the dessert with the whipped cream and the chopped chocolate chips
- Freeze for 6 hours or overnight
- Cut into sections and serve