Simply sweet Lemon Cream Poke Cake with a delicious burst of lemon flavor throughout the soft cake. Topped with a creamy lemon pudding frosting, this cake will be a delight to all who try it! Great for dessert for your family or a gathering of friends!
Spring is springing and to me that means all things lemon. Fresh, bright, completely perfect after the cold of winter.
This Lemon Cream Poke Cake is a flavor unmatched. Bursting with flavor, this cake is easy to make and enjoyable for all who eat it.
Why you should try this recipe
- Easy to make
- Pops with flavor
- Can use a variety of cake mixes
- The frosting is only 3 ingredients
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is a cake that is baked, then has holes poked into it with a spoon handle or straw. Then, the cake has a liquid poured over the top and into the holes.
It adds flavor and depth to the cake. It also is a great way to add color!
- Box of cake mix - see below for varieties.
- Lemon Jell-O
- Lemon pudding - instant
- Whipped cream - I used Cool Whip. Store brand won't hold up as well.
- Cake mix ingredients - per listed on the box.
What types of cake mix can I use?
The clear answer to this is of course a lemon cake mix. However, if you are feeling a little variety is necessary, white, yellow or a spring/Funfetti cake works.
I actually used a Funfetti cake mix because I wanted to brighten up the cake with a fun spring theme.
And isn't Funfetti fun?!?
However, any of the cake mixes listed above would work well.
How to make Lemon Cream Poke Cake
The first part of making this lemon poke cake is to make the cake part as instructed on the box.
Then pour it in the 9x13 pan and bake.
This cake will bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Follow the instructions on the back of the box for a 9x13 cake pan.
Poking the holes
I used the end of the spatula I was using. Why dirty another dish, right?? However, the end of a wooden spoon or as mentioned above, a straw works well.
The lemon Jell-O will be made as listed on the box, with one exception. You won't add as much cold water into the mixture.
So you will add one cup of boiling water and ½ cup of cold water. After mixing the gelatin and making sure it is completely dissolved, pour it over the cake.
Make sure the gelatin gets poured over the holes and top of the cake. Then the cake needs to chill for a while in the fridge. Let the cake sit for at least an hour.
The frosting is a mixture of lemon pudding and whipped cream.
I know, right?!?
To make this creamy pudding frosting, make the pudding according to package directions on the back of the box. It will set up quickly. Then, fold in the whipped cream.
Spread the frosting on the cake and let the cake with the frosting chill in the refrigerator at least one more hour.
Top the cake with sprinkles, raspberries or lemon slices and serve.
Yes, you can! Strawberry would be delicious!
It can be made ahead of time and actually that works best with this cake since it needs time to chill.
To store this cake, it needs to be kept in the refrigerator. Either cover the remaining cake with foil or place the remaining cake in an airtight container and place in the fridge.
This cake is delicious and so easy to make. Your family will enjoy the flavors and it is such a fun Spring cake!
Pin for later!
Lemon Cream Poke Cake
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 oz lemon Jell-O
For The Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
For The Frosting
- 3 oz lemon pudding mix instant
- 2 cup milk
- 8 oz whipped cream I used Cool Whip
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 cake pan.
- Following the instructions on the back of the cake box, mix the cake mix according to package directions.
- Bake the cake according to package directions for a 9x13 cake pan.
- Poke holes in the cake after the cake has cooled at least 20 minutes on the counter.
- When cake is done, stir the Jell-O mix and the boiling water until Jell-O is dissolved.
- Stir in the ½ cup of cold water.
- Pour the Jell-O over the top and in the holes of the cake.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
For The Frosting
- Whisk together the pudding mix with 2 cups of milk.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- After the cake has chilled one hour, spread the frosting over the cake. Let the cake chill for at least one hour more.
- Top with sprinkles, raspberries or lemons.