Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars is a dessert your guests will rave over. It is a simple recipe with creamy cream cheese, the pop of a butterscotch flavor and the base of a cake mix! Put these bars in your kids lunches, or have them for a family gathering.
Butterscotch cheesecake bars is a twist to another dessert, such as the Mint chocolate chip cheesecake bars. The layers of cream cheese and cake mix base is the same but the flavor is oh so different.
What is butterscotch?
Butterscotch is a related to caramel. Caramel cooks white sugar until it is browned. You have to take extra caution not to burn it. On the other hand, butterscotch is made with brown sugar.
The brown sugar makes the butterscotch have a different, deeper flavor. A buttery flavor (hence the name, I suppose).
If you aren't a butterscotch fan, you could change out the butterscotch for vanilla or chocolate chips. As mentioned above, mint chips would be very delightful in this!
Then, after you change out the chips in this recipe, you could change the flavor of cake mix. For example, a strawberry cake mix with white chocolate chips would be a great combination.
- butterscotch chips
- French vanilla cake mix
- chopped almonds (you can omit this if you would like)
- cream cheese , softened
- sweetened condensed milk
The almonds are completely optional. It does add a nice flavor to these cheesecake dessert bars but you can omit this if you have a nut allergy or if your family aren't fans.
The sweetened condensed milk is a must. Be sure not to swap out for evaporated milk. The sweetness of the condensed milk is needed for this recipe.
The process of making the butterscotch bars
First, on the stove, I melted the butter and butterscotch chips. Then I mixed in the cake mix and the almonds. I pressed the mixture on the bottom of a well greased 9x13 pan.
I then mixed the cream cheese mixture with the milk, vanilla and egg.
When baking this, it will go in a 350* oven for about 30 minutes.
Yes! These bars are best when they are let cooled on the counter for about 10 minutes then in the fridge for another 2 hours.
Yes, keep these bars in the fridge in an airtight container.
Pin for later!
Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars
- 1 9 x 13 cake pan
- 11 oz butterscotch chips
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 ¼ cups french vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup chopped almonds (you can omit this if you would like)
- 8 oz cream cheese , softened
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Melt butterscotch chips and margarine in saucepan over low heat
- Stir until both are melted
- Remove from heat and stir in cake mix and almonds
- Press ⅔ mixture on bottom of a well greased 9x13 pan
- Mix cream cheese, milk, egg and vanilla
- Spread on crumb mixture
- Top with remaining ⅓ crumb mixture
- Bake 30 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean
- Let cool 10 minutes on counter then refrigerate until completely cool
- Refrigerate any leftovers