M&M shortbread cookies were the sweet treat I was looking for the other day. Well, almost. I was looking to completely copy a cookie I had eaten a few weeks ago at Cora’s piano recital. It was the perfect M&M blend of sweet and chocolatey, with an almost dry cookie crust.
In a nutshell, it was really, really good.
These M&M shortbread cookies were my attempt at recreating those cookies. While they weren’t the perfect match to those cookies, they were close and they tasted wonderful. I mean, there are M&M’s in them; it has to be a great recipe at some level.
I enjoy creating and trying to make new things. I think the key for my baking and cooking is not to make them too complicated. My life is busy and crazy as it is. I really don’t have time for complicated recipes. That is part of the beauty of these M&M Shortbread Cookies. (Besides the fact they have M&M’s in them.)
They are easy to put together.
Of course, I don’t need much of an excuse to put M&M’s in a recipe like these M&M cookies. Easy recipe with M&M’s. Gotta love it.
For these cookies, you could use your own favorite sugar cookie recipe. I liked this recipe because they are more of a shortbread type cookie which pairs well with the chocolate layer. I believe a more sugary sugar cookie would be too sweet. (Did that make sense?) 🙂
Pack these delicious cookies in your child’s lunch box for school or your husband’s lunch for work. It would be a special treat for your family.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- Mix together butter, egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder.
- Add in 1 tablespoon water if needed so all dough sticks together.
- Take ⅔ of dough and spread in a 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, over low heat, stir together milk and chocolate chips until chips are melted.
- Remove cookie from oven and pour chocolate mixture on top.
- Take the rest of the cookie dough and sprinkle over top of chocolate layer.
- Add M&M's to top of bars.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until top is lightly brown.