Oreo Ice Cream Dessert with layers of Chocolate Angel Food Cake, Vanilla Ice Cream and delicious Birthday Cake Oreos is an easy dessert that comes together without a hitch! Great tasting and loaded with flavors, this dessert recipe will please family and guests alike. Enjoy the creamy, sweet and Oreo fun dessert!
Who doesn't love a simple AND delicious dessert recipe. One that feeds a large crowd yet doesn't take you hours to prepare? This busy mom does. That is why this OREO Ice Cream Dessert is the perfect combination of simplicity and it impresses.
Layers of chocolate angel food cake, vanilla ice cream and birthday OREOS and you have a fun and eye popping dessert. The angel food cake is made from a box (with a little something to make it chocolate) and the whipping cream that tops this ice cream dessert is can be whipped up in a hurry. (See what I did there?)
Making a chocolate angel food cake
The recipe is really very simple... look on the back of the box. Just kidding. Actually, I used the Pillsbury angel food cake mix and it was on the back of the box. If yours doesn't say it, add ⅓ cup of cocoa powder to the angel food cake mix and blend as normal. That's it.
The chocolate flavor with the taste of the angel food cake just pairs well together. It rather surprising, actually. But, it is so good.
What flavor ice cream should we use?
I used vanilla in this recipe or more specially, a french vanilla. My husband isn't a chocolate ice cream fan (I know, can you imagine?) so I wanted to steer clear of that.
You could certainly use chocolate or a birthday cake ice cream. I also think an ice cream with a caramel swirl would be tasty as well. Either way, the vanilla is the starting point and make sure the size is 1.5 quarts.
The best way to store the leftovers of this dessert (if you have any) is to keep it in the original 9x13 pan and wrap tightly with foil. You are not going to want to leave the ice cream out for a long period of time while serving up this dish. It will melt so you will have to serve it, then stick it in the freezer.
Be sure to remind guests to go back for seconds!
Do you like ice cream recipes? Try:
OREO Ice Cream Dessert
- 1 angel food cake mix
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 16 oz whipping cream
- 15.25 oz OREOS
- 1.5 oz vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix together the angel food cake mix and ⅓ cup of cocoa powder in a large bowl. Then follow the directions on the back of the angel food cake package for the amount of water and bake time
- After baking the angel food cake, let cool upside down then cut (or tear) into bite sized pieces and place it in a 9x13 cake pan, covering the bottom of the pan
- Spread soft ice cream over the top of cake
- Place OREOS (you can either crush the OREOS first or place them whole like I did over the ice cream. Reserve about 5 OREOS for the topping
- Make the whipping cream by placing the heavy cream in a stand mixer or in a bowl with a hand mixer and beating the cream on medium/high until it starts to thicken. When the mixture is thick (the consistency of Cool Whip) add in 1 cup of powdered sugar to sweeten it up. Mix until blended
- Spread over top of cake and sprinkle OREO crumbs on top
- Cover with foil and let set in freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight to set up
- Serve. Freeze any leftovers