Chocolate Oatmeal Bars With Caramel Drizzle is a rich, enjoyable dessert recipe your family will appreciate. It will satisfy your sweet tooth!
This post was updated June 2016.
I thought I would revive this old post. I mean, with chocolate and caramel, why not? I don’t think you will be able to eat just one! 🙂
Making cookies or bars is such a dangerous thing for me. Because, as I have mentioned many, many times in the past, I enjoy cookies. A lot. They are hands down my favorite type of dessert. When my birthday comes around, I gladly ask for cookies for dessert (or an apple pie-most likely cookies, though). I don’t know if it is because they are small therefore easy to grab. I don’t know if it is because I can down three cookie and feel like I haven’t eaten a lot, whereas if I downed three pieces of pie, I would feel gluttonous. Who knows. I will say, the chocolate oatmeal bars with caramel drizzle, well, they were hard to stay out of. They also were chewy, chocolaty, caramel-y (is that a word?) and just yummy.
The chocolate oatmeal bars is a spin on Caramelitas. I enjoy caramelitas with the caramel center in the cookie, but I had tried a cookie at a piano recital with a ribbon of chocolate in the middle. Gooey, sweet, rich chocolate. After tasting one, I KNEW I needed to try to make it. The chocolate oatmeal bar was close. Not the same cookie I tried at the recital, but it really didn’t matter. They were still very, very, good.
The recipe is pretty easy. The chocolate center is made from chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Like what you would make for frosting. It made the chocolate spreadable and sweet. When the chocolate cooled, it wasn’t hard yet it held together well. Try these oatmeal cookie bars. Make sure you take them to a potluck or gathering somewhere. Otherwise, you will be tempted to eat 3. Or 4. Or more. 😉
Chocolate Oatmeal Bars With Caramel Drizzle
- 2 cup flour
- 2 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup melted butter
For the chocolate filling
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 pouch Breyers Caramel Ice Cream Drizzle
- Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and egg in a large bowl
- Mix well
- Stir in butter
- Mix well
- Take half of mixture and press on the bottom of a greased 9x13 cake pan
- Bake for 8 minutes at 350*
- While baking, take chocolate chips and milk and heat (medium/low) on the stove until chips are melted, stirring constantly
- After 8 minutes, remove bars from oven and carefully spread chocolate over top
- Sprinkle the rest of cookie mixture over top
- Bake for 18-22 more minutes until lightly brown
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Drizzle caramel over top