A childhood favorite, chocolate chip pancakes are now a favorite of my children. Sweet breakfast on a lazy morning.
Back when I was a girl, my sister enjoyed to bake. She would create a lot of things in the kitchen, from homemade donuts (I could put on the sprinkles!) to an elephant made out of some type of frosting concoction. If there is one thing that takes me back to my childhood, it's chocolate chip pancakes. I don't know if she came up with the recipe on her own, saw it somewhere, or was struck by the sheer GENIUS of putting chocolate into something and we can call it breakfast. However she found the idea, I'm glad she did. Yum, yum.
Now, not everyone feels the same way. My wonderful husband, who I think a lot of, has a flaw. He doesn't like chocolate chip pancakes. How?!? (You ask yourself.) He claims chocolate chips don't belong in a pancake. Yet, this same wonderful man, puts a lot of syrup on his pancakes. I'm not seeing the difference here. ;-) Syrup vs. chocolate chips: Round 1.
I have passed the love of chocolate chip pancakes to our children. They all enjoy the taste. We don't have them every time we have pancakes but they are great for a special treat. And it helps me reach that Supermom status again. :-)
This is a pretty easy recipe. Our daughter, Cora was very eager to help be the pancake batter pourer and flipper. When I added chocolate chips, there were squeals of delight and "thanks Mom!". Gotta love it.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 T sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup water)
- 3 T oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Set that bowl aside
- In another bowl, mix the egg, milk (or milk/water), oil and vanilla
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture
- Stir until just until dry ingredients are moistened (Batter will be lumpy)
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Pour ¼-1/2 cup batter on lightly greased and hot griddle
- Cook over medium heat (about 325*) for 2-3 minutes on each side or until pancakes are a golden brown