You have no idea how excited I was when I rolled the Pumpkin Roll up for the last time. And it stayed. And it didn’t crack (not too bad, anyway). I have always wanted to make a roll of some kind. Jelly roll, pumpkin roll, chocolate roll of some kind (is there a recipe for that?), I have wanted to take the plunge and make one but I have always been too afraid to try.
Roll it in a dishtowel? Unroll it and roll again?
I think I will just make a layer cake. Simpler.
Actually, a layer cake isn’t simpler. Making this pumpkin roll wasn’t just easy, it wasn’t that time consuming. When my hubby came home from work, he spied the leftover cream cheese filling in a bowl on the counter. (I believe he started sniffing it out in the driveway. He knows cream cheese.) Anyway, he as he dutifully cleaned the bowl for me, I told him to open the refrigerator. He did and immediately approved of my efforts.
I thought he would.
A few tips:
I recommend using parchment paper on the bottom of your jellyroll pan to prevent sticking. It made the cake slide out of the pan easily.
Make sure you allow proper cooling time. Don’t get into a rush.
Measure carefully, no guessing allowed. Except the cinnamon. We never measure cinnamon, right? 😉
The batter ready to go into the oven
The cake inverted onto the dish towel. Um, fabric. I didn’t have a dish towel suitable for this. Whatever works, right?
The rolled up dish towel/fabric
Spreading on the cream cheese filling
The finished goodness
- 3 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅔ c pumpkin
- ¾ c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 T butter
- 1½ c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat eggs for 5 minutes with a hand mixer or stand mixer (medium speed). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350* and line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper
- Add sugar, a little at a time
- Mix in rest of ingredients
- Pour cake batter into pan and bake for 13-15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes
- Invert cake onto a dish towel covered with powdered sugar
- Let cool 5 more minutes and remove parchment paper
- Roll cake and towel together
- Cool for one hour
- Mix all filling ingredients together
- Unroll cake
- Spread on filling, then roll up cake
- Refrigerate 1 hour before serving