This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DelightfulMoments #CollectiveBias
Layered Peppermint Chocolate Cake is the Holiday dessert your family will love. Easy to make from scratch, I promise! Wow your family with it’s delicious flavor.
Oh, the Holidays are upon us! Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner and that means family and family gatherings. Of course, that also means many memories of yesteryear.
I don’t know about you, but growing up, we didn’t have to travel far for a celebration at Grandma’s house. In fact, they lived right next door. On Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, we would load everyone up (er, just put our shoes on) and see who would be the first one to get inside their house. We would always enjoy the meal at Grandma’s house.
Fast forward a few years and now I am the one making the meal. Or, at least, bringing a dish to share at another family member’s house. I remember the pots boiling away on the stove and something delicious in the oven at Grandma’s. I love having those memories and I want my children to have those memories of me cooking and baking in the kitchen.
Baking does not need to be complicated. Recipes can be simple yet be stunning at the same time. Sometimes, just taking a simple recipe and adding a special twist to it can really add the “wow” factor. Like when I added International Delight® Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer to a simple chocolate cake recipe. I replaced the milk in the recipe with the Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer. The result was a delicious flavorful layered peppermint chocolate cake.
You can get Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer at Walmart in a special display at the end of the aisle in the refrigerated section. You can also pick up other fun Holiday flavors such as Salted Caramel Mocha.
Every morning, my husband uses International Delight® Coffee Creamers. It is his absolute favorite. Since they are always in the house, I like coming up with different ways to add the creamers to my recipes. It’s two for one. He can enjoy them in his morning cup of coffee and I can add a twist to a recipe. The Peppermint Mocha creamer is just what he needs to get into the holiday spirit.
Of course, drinking a cup of coffee with this peppermint cake would be quite nice as well. 🙂
Making Layered Peppermint Chocolate Cake
It really was quite simple to make this chocolate cake.
First, mix together the flour, sugar and the cocoa powder
Stir in the salt, baking powder and baking soda
Next, in a small bowl, stir together the eggs and Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
Add in the oil, peppermint extract and boiling water
Mix well and place in a 9 inch springform pan
Bake and let cool. Then slice into layers and frost with peppermint buttercream frosting.
What you have is a flavorful, delicious cake for the Holidays. In fact, my husband said it was the best cake he has ever had. Yes, really. Your family will enjoy this layered peppermint chocolate cake and you will love the simplicity of it. Just think, before long you will be having your entire family over to your house for Christmas. Pots boiling on the stove and all. 🙂
Be sure to check out other great recipes using International Delight Coffee Creamer here. Also, be sure to check out the International Delight® in-store demo taking place at select Walmart stores over the Thanksgiving weekend
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup International Delight (R) Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- ½ cup to ¾ cup International Delight (R) Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Mix together the flour, sugar and cocoa
- Stir in the baking soda, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs
- Mix in the International Delight (R) Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Stir in the oil and peppermint extract
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Stir in the boiling water and mix until well blended
- Pour into a well greased 9 inch springform pan
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until center tests done with a toothpick
- Let cake cool
- Meanwhile for the frosting, mix together with a mixer the butter and powdered sugar
- Add in the Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer
- Mix until well blended
- When cake has cooled, remove from pan and slice cake into three layers (horizontally)
- Spread frosting in between layers
- Stack layers on top of each other then spread frosting on top of cake
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies if desired