This Double Layer Apple Streusel Cake is a delicious fall apple recipe. A loaded cake with cinnamon and apples, this cake has a crunchy topping your family will love.
I love all things apple. Fall is a great time of year with apples aplenty and the excuse to make apple desserts. This double layer apple streusel cake is a perfect example of a delicious fall recipe.
My children loved this recipe. They ate half of it before their father even walked through the door. I love it when he comes home from work, sees a new recipe and agrees to try it. Then when he takes a bite, says, oh wow. Yeah, that’s good.
The best compliment, right there.
Double Layer Apple Streusel Cake
This cake could double as a coffee cake, if needed. Serve it with a cup of coffee or glass of milk in the morning. You could also add French Vanilla ice cream to the side or whipped cream on top for an after dinner dessert. Either way, delicious!
The recipe is only a handful of ingredients. When making the cake, make sure you chop up your apples before you start so they are ready to go at the end of the recipe. I used two medium apples, diced and peeled. They were gala apples. You can also use golden delicious.
Do you know what makes this cake so great? Besides the apples, of course. The crunchy brown sugar/oatmeal topping. There is a double layer of topping so in every bite you get a cinnamon sugar taste. Oh yes you do.
- 1½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 medium apples, diced and peeled
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon melted butter
- Mix together the sugar and butter
- Stir in the eggs
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
- Stir in the vanilla
- Fold in the apples
- Mix the topping ingredients together
- Spread the batter equally into two greased 9 inch circle cake pans
- Sprinkle topping equally on both cake batters
- Bake at 350* for 35 minutes or until cake tests done
- Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans and stack one on top of the other on a cake dish
- Cool completely