This is part of our 31 Days Series, “What If?” What if I made apple crisp with cookie dough? Caramel Apple Pumpkin Cookie Crisp
I may have mentioned once or twice, it’s apple season. Apple season is a happy time for me. Thanks to my husband’s parents, we receive a bounty of apples (or applesauce) every year. This year was not any different.
Since I am also involved in the 31 Days series, I thought I would combine the kitchen with the question, “What If?” on occasion. I wanted to find out what would happen to some recipes in the kitchen if I changed from my normal baking and cooking pattern. So, What If I made apple crisp with cookie dough? How would the dessert turn out? More importantly, would the family enjoy it?
Though, seriously, what could go wrong with adding cookie dough to any recipe? Not much, my friends, not much.
When making this caramel apple pumpkin cookie crisp, I first needed to decide on what cookie dough to use. Of course, when shopping on Friday, I spied this Pumpkin Spice cookie dough.
The decision was made a whole lot easier. 😉
After slicing and peeling the apples, I put sugar, cinnamon and flour on them. I then put a layer of apples in a 9×13 greased baking dish.
Next, I put sections of the cookie dough on the apples. I then put another layer of apples on top and the rest of the cookie dough.
After baking the caramel apple pumpkin cookie crisp, I drizzled caramel on top.
Whipped Cream finishes the crunchy, sweet, flavorful dessert. Delicious!
To answer the question, “What If” I was to use cookie dough in an apple crisp, the answer is simple:
The kids thought it was wonderful. Amazing. Delicious. A dessert with pumpkin spice, apple and cinnamon flavors throughout.
- 1 package Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon flour
- 10 Kraft Caramels
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish
- Cut and peel apples and place in a large bowl
- *Note: Depending on the size of your apples, the number may vary. I would cut some and see how many you have. If you are using large apples, you will need at least 7-8 apples.*
- Add sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir
- Layer half the apples on the bottom your baking dish, enough to cover the bottom
- Place ⅓ of the pumpkin spice cookie dough on top of the apples
- Layer rest of apples on top
- Place rest of cookie dough on top of apples
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes at 375*
- After 15 minutes, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes then drizzle with caramel
- Unwrap 10 caramel squares and place in a microwave safe bowl
- Add 2 tsp water
- Microwave for 1 minute
- If needing to melt more, microwave in 30 seconds at a time
Want to see some great fall recipes (and great cookie recipes)? Follow me on Pinterest!